LIDAR Scan of DMS

Should’ve replied to this earlier but if we want to do that then maybe do it after the expansion is done? The scan as-is has lots of clutter, people, and weird stuff that I would fix if I were to do it again like putting a blanket over the mirror in the workshop. It’s likely that I could come back and do this again in the future. This data could be useful to learn the workflow but then swap out the data with better data in the future.

2 Likes

The exported files are in members/LukeOlson/lidar.

5 Likes

Pretty awesome @lukeiamyourfather! Sorry if I missed this but you mentioned it was captured with a GeoSLAM ZEB Horizon scanner. Does DMS own or did you have access to it some other way? Also, roughly how long did it take you to walk the space to capture it all?

how did you do this??

DMS doesn’t have a tool like this as far as I know but they did or still do have other types of 3D scanners. I have access to the tool via a makerspace like lab at work. I’ve discussed my work a bit before like the thread below.

@AlexRhodes runs the lab at work where I checked out the tool. Employees have access to the lab, tools, training, etc. It’s a great resource. :slight_smile:

It took around 40 minutes to do the scan which was split into three parts (old space, new space, and outside). The data was captured at normal walking speed. Turns out it takes a while to walk through everything at DMS.

Scroll up. :wink:

5 Likes

Thank you, Luke! Appreciate your insights, and the files. I will definitely be on the hunt for that DMS scanner. Have all kinds of uses for that.

1 Like

Exactly. Totally agreed, re waiting for the expansion to finish. It’ll be a little while yet before I can tackle the interactive directory anyway. Business has picked back up, thankfully. :wink:

1 Like

Good luck with the scanner. It may have “left the building”. There was chat a couple of years ago about “where is the scanner”, and I don’t remember that we found it.

@Team_3D_Fab is actively working on getting a new 3D scanner. Likely a structured light solution.

No ETA yet, as we’re working to get rid of some of our old toys first.

5 Likes

I’m more than willing to help look for it. :wink:

Fantastic work and many thanks for doing this. Extremely interesting!

Now that things are opening back up and classes are starting to appear again I’d love to see some on any 3D scanning gear DMS has on hand. I didn’t think we had much and I didn’t find anything on the Wiki.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, which isn’t much, the “corridor crew” on YouTube talks in many of their videos about how they make 3D models using normal cameras and compositing software. This may be a good “now” solution.

2 Likes

This is fantastic!

1 Like