Legislative Advocacy Class

Hey, It’s January of an odd numbered year, and that means that the Texas State Legislature is coming to session for the next few months. I worked as a district and capital legislative aide for the 2011 session and would like to offer insight into how best to advocate to the legislature by a variety of means of communications about policy issues that may be important to you.

I scheduled the class for 01/23/2017 and am waiting on confirmation. This seemed like an appropriate forum to drum up interest and solicit input.

Thanks
Alex “Context” Head

2 Likes

Is it going to be even on the advocacy, or tilted to one side or the other?

DMS shouldn’t be pushing either sides agenda, and the membership as a whole seems to get along pretty well, even with widely varying political stances.

6 Likes

Sounds like an interesting class, Alex. My schedule is about to go haywire but I might try to make it. I know of a couple that might be interested also, schedule allowing.

:confused:

:thinking: :confused:

1 Like

Pretty sure that was a typo and she meant “couple”…

2 Likes

@jast fixed. My autocorrect doesn’t work in the talk forums for some reason. Sorry it was such a big deal. Thanks @merissa for using common sense and knowing what I meant 🖒

1 Like

Nothing about the course as described suggests a specific political agenda but rather a how-to guide for anyone wishing to engage with the legislature.

2 Likes

Which is why I asked… I didn’t want to jump to a conclusion.

One of the areas that 501(3)© organizations can get into trouble is political activity.n An education class that has NO tie in no a cause or position and is neutral is okay. But if the class is used for promoting or recruiting for a cause it could be trouble.

So if truly neutral, go for it. If no Honorarium involved we’d be safer yet form possible attack IRS attack since we’d at least not be supporting it financially, IMO. The class sounds interesting but it has to focus on process not any particular policy.
The Restriction of Political Campaign Intervention by Section 501©(3) Tax-Exempt Organizations

Under the Internal Revenue Code, all section 501©(3) organizations are absolutely prohibited from directly or indirectly participating in, or intervening in, any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office

Certain activities or expenditures may not be prohibited depending on the facts and circumstances. For example, certain voter education activities (including presenting public forums and publishing voter education guides) conducted in a non-partisan manner do not constitute prohibited political campaign activity. In addition, other activities intended to encourage people to participate in the electoral process, such as voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives, would not be prohibited political campaign activity if conducted in a non-partisan manner.

Certain activities or expenditures may not be prohibited depending on the facts and circumstances. For example, certain voter education activities (including presenting public forums and publishing voter education guides) conducted in a non-partisan manner do not constitute prohibited political campaign activity. In addition, other activities intended to encourage people to participate in the electoral process, such as voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives, would not be prohibited political campaign activity if conducted in a non-partisan manner.

On the other hand, voter education or registration activities with evidence of bias that (a) would favor one candidate over another; (b) oppose a candidate in some manner; or © have the effect of favoring a candidate or group of candidates, will constitute prohibited participation or intervention.

5 Likes

I wonder what they do for the other 22 months …

3 Likes

This may need to be another thread, but you and others act as if there is an IRS agent dedicated to revoking the space’s 501©(3) status. Is it really so serious? I doubt one class dissolving into a debate (which is possible, depending on attendees) any worse than sitting around watching the debates and/or election coverage?

1 Like

It is relevant to this thread. If the class is neutral it isn’t problem. If it is for a specific point of view advocacy, then yes the IRS could take exception.

There is a difference between members discussing amongst themselves or watching the elections, news etc. and organizing to externally advocating a position. Expenditure of funds could be an issue - an IRS auditor could make it an issue (we are overdue for the 5 year audit).

I have no idea as to whether or not this class may transgress it. I merely noted the applicable position the IRS takes on this in their publications regarding 501©(3)'s. As you may recall, the IRS was during the 2012 election cycle was weaponized against conservative groups (e.g. Louis Learner, et al) from even being approved through delays that effectively made them obsolete.

If the class/event review committee and BoD have no problem with it, I don’t. But to I do feel an obligation to make a potential transgression known, since this is a very specific thing the IRS prohibits - I merely cited the IRS page and some text. My statement:
“So if truly neutral, go for it. … The class sounds interesting but it has to focus on process not any particular policy.”

3 Likes

Honorarium is being requested. Shall I reject it?

I can’t say yes or no as I don’t have have access to see what the course description is or if additional info was asked for - like when I was part of the review group. I’m not saying reject it or even pushing for that. But if within the group of approvers you decide it’s OK, then let it roll on through and post to calendar.

My point was just make folks aware of the the IRS position as it relates to 501©(1). You guys decide, it’s your job to look out for the Space. This just struck me a class that could possibly run afoul of something you may not have considered or have been aware of.

That’s the way I read the OP… It doesn’t appear to be one-sided.

Actually, it can be serious.

I agree, if the class is neutral, it should not be a problem.

I’m pretty sure he was just being silly… (I could be wrong though; but, that’s the way it comes across…)

It doesn’t seem to be a big deal at all… :slight_smile:
If I had to guess, I imagine we all knew what you meant. :wink: :slight_smile:
No harm, no foul. :innocent:

Has @Context provided an outline of the curriculum? Perhaps someone could reach out to him to find out his intent - prior to making a decision on whether to ax the class or not.

Alex, to address some of the concerns about whether the class should be allowed or not, would you mind providing some additional details? As long as the class is neutral, I think it would be great! I’m sure Civic Hacking would appreciate having more classes on the calendar! :smiley:

2 Likes

All good.

No big deal.
I was just wondering if I was missing out on some hip new word, based on the interesting googler returns:

Especially that first one…

Carry on with the Legislative Advocacy Class discussion. Thank you (all) for clarifying that I was looking for meaning where there was none intended.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses on the 501©(3) issue, the context of the overdue 5-year audit helped with some perspective.

Sorry about my salty response to the lmgtfy post. I’m a little more susceptible to get grumpy lately (blame my sleep patterns. Ugh!)

Anyways to bring this back on topic, I am excited at the possibility of this kind of class, and if I attend I promise to do my level best to keep on topic and be neutral :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Bill,

The description is very innocuous, and I expect it will be a neutral class, so I’m not pushing for it to be rejected. I was just hoping for some confirmation from @Context.

If the class turns out to not be neutral, then similar classes will be more heavily scrutinized in the future.

As for IRS worries, having ONE biased class won’t hurt us, but a pattern of bias could cause real problems with the IRS.

4 Likes

I did not do it, but [quote]
We (Honorarium auditors) have decided to reject this because we want Honorariums to further our mission of making. You’re still able to resubmit the event and have it hosted at DMS without honoarium. Thanks for understanding.
[/quote]

The OP @Context is free to resubmit it as an event, but be prepared for people with different political viewpoints to be present.

My intent is to offer a policy position neutral procedural run down of best practices that could be applied to any policy advocacy.

2 Likes