Leather Tooling

Anyone out there good at leather tooling willing to share some knowledge? I have done a little, but don’t really know enough to do very much. I’ve watched some videos but youtube gives me tired head, most of the speakers either don’t explain well enough, or over explain, and you can’t really ask questions. Pic below of a project I am on and need to find the right bevel tool for some of the spots not completed, fix the glaring mistake, and perhaps be told which ones I should have used for areas already done. Thank you in advance if you can help. I’m happy to meet when you’re already planning on being there. A tooling class on layout and patterns would be great also.

I am passable, but could possibly help a little. TBH what you have there is pretty good (except for that 1 small mistake that’s really not as glaring as you might think). Looks like you just need to bevel the outside and inner pieces and its good to go. I am unfortunately not sure when I will next be up there. Buuut, I do need to proto type a thing for a potential class, so I might be able to carve out some time Saturday if my wife isn’t working. Please DM me and we can set up a tentative meet up.

Regarding a tooling class, I have tried 3 of them over the last 5 years and each time they end up taking about twice what I anticipated as its a slow going craft so I kind of gave up doing those. No one likes a 2 hour class that ended up being 4+ hours.

1 Like

Thank you. I sent a DM. As for a tooling class, I would love one scheduled for 2 hours and took 4, just means I will learn more lol. Thank you!

Also I lieve on the north side of the lake lewiville bridge. so prolly only 20 minutes from the space

1 Like

Agree that tooling classes tend to go way over. Honestly, back when we had Leather SIG meetups it was a great time to share knowledge like tooling. Perhaps we need to schedule one of those? Everyone comes in with questions or projects and just hangs out.

2 Likes

that would be fun. great idea!

If you can make them, we have general Creative Art “Gatherings” every 2 weeks, on Sunday. Would be a perfect time to coordinate a get together

1 Like

If I’m able to make this work and get a membership, I could help a little as well. I’m not the greatest, but getting better.
HMMM… tried to post a few pictures of my work, but not working for me! :slight_smile:
Let me know if this link works to my Google Photos. This is a few of my projects.

Bob

2 Likes

Nice work Bob! I think your skills would make for some great classes and camaraderie.

I see you have the cushion pattern stamp, how do you like working with that one?

1 Like

Ok, I must call it something else. The cushion pattern, which picture are you referencing? :slight_smile:
and thanks.

1 Like

this one here, it looks like an old school couch fabric pattern and its on my wish list currently :slight_smile:
Looks like you made a really nice phone case wallet using it.

1 Like

Ah… I don’t have that stamp. That was done with a ruler, a small seeder and just a swivel knife.

1 Like

Awesome work Bob! very nice!!! Hopefully you can get a membership!

Oh wow, even better. very nice work!

1 Like

I really need a leather project!

2 Likes

you can find a few easy projects here. I’ve made a few of them.

2 Likes

oh he’s got some cool patterns!

this guy has some nice ones too

DieselpunkRo - Etsy

I have some of his too. But have found that the large dopp bag template is not correct and the loop that ties it together has too many holes. bought a multi hole punch to match CreativeAwl patterns.

1 Like

Both of those pattern makers are good, plus Leather Hub Patterns is good too. I also have some from Karlova Designs which seems like a newish vendor but good patterns, and MB Leather Turkey is cheap, but their patterns are hard to read and they don’t have a youtube channel to help so I’d say not beginner friendly.

FWIW Etsy is having a sale right now, spend $40 and get $10 off. that coupled with their shop discounts makes for a nice price. I loaded up on a few this week.

3 Likes