Leather N Lasers - Field Notes Cover

Last weekend I taught my first class here at the Makerspace. While I knew there were some interested in how to cut leather on the lasers, the amount of people who approached me about wanting in the class surprised me. As with all first classes there were a few hiccups, but mostly positive feedback.

The class covered from concept, through complete didital design, cutting on the laser, single needle stitching, and finishing.

The one constructive criticism I received was that not everyone was able to stitch the tiny holes I normally use. For this reason, I will be posting more classes and cancellations will be 8 days before class. There is now a guide with a threaded needle hanging on the door in the Leather Working Cabinet. I ask that all students try this out and let me know their preferences so I can prepare the kits accordingly.

8 Likes

Wow! Way to be proactive. This is an excellent idea.

Thank you ma’am. I have submitted the next class for Saturday February 18th 11-2. Since it does take about three hours to go through full process, if there are enough people interested in another time frame let me know.

1 Like

JJ, I took mine home and sewed it together just fine with the holes you cut for the class. I used a pair of pliers to pull the needle through on several occasions though. My wife said that my stitches were the best she’s seen me do. Maybe increasing the size a mm would help, but with a little assistance from a pair of pliers the holes you cut worked fine for me.

I have had the same remarks using the same method. However, being respectful of the space supplies (needles tend to break more often using pliers) and trying to accommodate Makers of all types, I felt this relatively minor change on my end would have a maximum benefit across all students.

1 Like

@bitta Would it help if we got some of the type pliers used in Jewelry and Small Metals that have the Nylon1 Nylon 2 lined jaws on them so it grips the needle without scoring it?

May be a god solution

FWIW, I did a lot of hand sewing with pliers this weekend (argh.) I used curved nose, smooth jaw pliers and it worked quite well. There was very little pushing with the pliers and almost all pulling; which tends to be a lot easier on the needles.

Lol, yeah I really don’t like using pliers sewing (I have the peeling blistered thumbtip to prove it…lol) simply because it can tend to bend the needles and break the eyes out depending on how much twisting and wiggling you do. If the pliers have teeth, they can scratch up the needles causing the needles to grab and snag the thread where the needles pass. That said, I’ll definitely check into getting some the nylon jaw pliers like I have for doing specialty chain mail.

The nylon jaw covers are replaceable greatly extending the life of the tool. (BTW, I’ve already ratted myself out to my mentor who first taught me to sew leather using a wheel and a stabbing awl. The first thing I had to make was a leather thimble to prevent stabs and blisters! So the current state of my thumb is ALL on me…sigh.)

IMO, unless it’s a certain area where it’s just super thick or you’ve done multiple passes, but generally overall on the whole project, then the stitch holes are probably just too small. Using the diamond awl to open the stitch hole up did help, but I fear the heat from cutting with the laser prevented the leather from stretching as it would normally.

@apparently_weird, I applaud you in going above and beyond in tweaking the class and being open to feedback and student preference for this. Some folks will have issues with hand strength in this regard and I thank you for being considerate of that! It really was a good class and the preparation you did for it is obvious. THANKS!

1 Like

I would love to take your class! :star2::smiley:

Class is live on the calendar. February 18th 11-2. We will again be doing a Field Notes Journal cover. Am also looking at expanding the series to other projects. I have done my wallet and also open to designing a ladies clutch wallet design. Both classes would be multi classes due to amount of both design and work and a little higher fee due to more leather involved. Anyone like these ideas?

2 Likes

Was up at the space and noticed the threaded needle is no longer with stitch holes but didn’t have time to hunt for it. Will search more on Saturday and replace it.

1 Like

I would love to take this class, but have a scheduling conflict on February 18. Will it be offered again soon?

It all depends on interest level. When would be good for you? If that also works for others am happy to schedule accordingly as time permits.

1 Like

Count me in for a class the last couple of weeks in March if it’s possible.

I usually work Saturday morning, so later in the day would be preferred. End of March would also work.

I’m also interested, though more in the how to laser part than the journal part. I am making a set of bookmarks for friend and laser etching leather would be the best way to do it.

I thought this looked interesting for another laser/leather project idea, too, after learning the field notes cover.

2 Likes

This is embossed and painted, but could be laser etched. You just wouldn’t get the depth and beveling of embossing.

But it would be sooooo much easier!!!

I absolutely agree!

I love what @apparently_weird is doing using the laser and leather. He helped me out when I first joined DMS and I will forever be grateful. Having a chance to combine tools and techniques is the thing I love most about the space.

As a leathercrafter, I have an internal conflict. The maker in me loves the precision and speed. The leathercrafter in me wants to use technique and skill.

Again, I love these projects, and I think it would be great to build a library of templates that can be used by all members. One of the great things is that this library of templates can be used either for laser-n-leather cutting, or cutting templates to be used in traditional leatherwork.

2 Likes