Lathe turning insert about out

When teaching the lathe class last week, I was showing the class where to obtain replacement inserts for the tools. I saw that we are about out of turning inserts for both the non ferrous and the ferrous type. There are a bunch of turning inserts in the cabinet that don’t fit our holders, which will help them to last forever.

I remember some numbers from when there used to be labels on the tool holders: 6515 & 515 for ferrous and 313 & 68 for non ferrous, if memory serves correctly. The insert sleeves they came in were “Kyocera”, I believe.

At CarbideDepot/Kyocera there is a very large catalog of just turning inserts and a number like 6515 doesn’t define just one unique insert. The catalog left me more confused than a termite in a wooden yoyo. So does anyone know how the inserts are specified for order? What is a good source for obtaining them at a good price? How are consumables at the DMS sourced, in general; does the Committee Chair person order these things using a DMS charge card?

Thanks,

Bob Karnaugh

2 Likes

Unless the chairperson happens to notice a consumable is low or out, when another member notices something needs to be replenished, the member should create a REQUEST thread under the #issues-requests category and mention (“tag”) the group that handles the affected tool.

In most instances, the committee chairperson does have to give approval for all purchase for their committee. There are very few exceptions. Once they approve of the expense, they can either make the purchase or make arrangements for it.

1 Like

If someone will identify specifically what we need I’ll order some when I get my purchasing CC, else @Photomancer can hopefully order for us. thanks.

Just need he number. Conversely, if we have a lot of inserts, we can get tool bar that uses them. May be cheaper,.