Lathe identity?

Looking for a bit of information from the ‘vintage folks’ here on this lathe please. I have little to no wifi here on my holiday.
Is it worthy of being “home hobby lathe” ?

Yes that does say “Montgomery Ward” hence my request for the help from the more ‘vintage’ folks here.

Thanks!

I have a very similar Montgomery Ward lathe.
Its been fine for tinkering at home but I like the big lathes we have at the space better.
It was made by Logan.

http://lathes.co.uk/

1 Like

This lathe would be something I would pick up if I didn’t already have my Montgomery Ward model 84TLC-2130 made by Logan in 1947. It is essentially a rebadged Logan 820 10”x24” lathe. It has V ways that are better than the flat ways like the Craftsman / Atlas lathes.

Here is a photo of my lathe. Going to add a TouchDRO system to it and am going to rework the VFD a little. The guy I bought it from was using it to turn stainless steel motorcycle parts and had upgraded it to a beefy 3 phase motor with VFD for speed control. I also have a gear box selector and lead screw to convert mine from the basic change gear type to a gearbox type for selecting feed rates for threading and such.

2 Likes

Thanks ! This one comes with a stout stand/table and 3 cabinets full of tools/tooling and misc. Next to it is a small Southbend lathe and across the shop is a much larger Reed Prentice lathe buried in dust and darkness.