Lasercutter for a HS - OMG It's almost a GO! - need suggestions

Red tape is going to kill me on this one.

IF POSSIBLE I need this one to be able to be ordered via AMAZON. Ya, not kidding.

If anyone has some recommendations please let me know - I have a crack that I might be able to wiggle in!!!

PS I’m getting this probably the day @Lampy Jack graduates. Sorry kiddo

1 Like

Any hints on size and budget?

Needs to stay under $5k but I might be able to wiggle a bit more if absolutely necessary.

Size is open - we have a good size room to work around.

I hope you have taken the cost of an exhaust system into account. TheLab recently bought one a little smaller than the Full Spectrum cutter we had. They did several test cuts and smoked/stunk up the room.

Ya we just went around and looked at rooms and we think we found an even better room to take on. The maintenance to get it together would come out of a separate account so were good.

@lukeiamyourfather Does Thunder Laser have something in that price range? I cant seem to find a price list on their site.

Edit: I think this is Thunder Laser’s ebay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/chinatopmachine/laser-cutter-/_i.html?_fsub=1877564017&_sid=992426587&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Edit 2: This one looks like the laser to go with:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CO2-LASER-ENGRAVING-CUTTING-ENGRAVER-CUTTER-MACHINE-/272028287790?hash=item3f5626432e

I would try and negotiate a better price or a 100W tube.

I’ll be at TheLab this evening and will try to remember to see what model they bought. It came from China and has a 2’x2.5’ bed.

Damn. And I thought we were impressive with the little A4 diode laser in need of repair. One day you’ll have to share whatever unicorn you caught! Definitely get one with it’s own safety housing. Our risk officer is having a small fit at the introduction of light saber art printers and torches

Problem is that you have to buy of of Amazon, the good thing is you have to buy of Amazon. Not many have very good ratings but Amazon can bully the vendor if they sell you crap.

This one looks pretty good:
https://www.amazon.com/CNCShop-Engraving-Machine-Engraver-Woodworking/dp/B01FO2T6W6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1493342751&sr=8-7&keywords=co2%2Blaser%2Bcutter&refinements=p_72%3A2661620011&th=1

That’s the one I was looking at as well.

For reliability and support, Epilog (Zing) is very good. They are pricey, so you would likely have to buy a smaller laser if you go that route.

I don’t know if maintenance and supportability is important for something that high schoolers use …

That is the exact one TheLab bought.

KH-7050 from GuangZhou Amonstar Trade Co, Ltd.

1 Like

DMS lasers have a closed-loop chiller to cool the laser tube.

TheLab chose to go cheap. They have an open container and a circulating pump. Someone will have to top off the water periodically. I hope they keep distilled water in stock…

This option seems reasonable. I like a lot of things about Thunder Laser but trying to import one is a lot of legwork, something a school district might not be interested in doing.

School districts try to make everything as simple as possible - vendors and such. I highly doubt (ok straight up they aren’t gonna) they would do anything that takes a bunch of effort.

I’m super excited about this new crack I found in the ways of my school. Wish me luck!

2 Likes

Not unless someone can be voluntold to do it lol