Laser Tour Request

Hi All,
I have a project idea that requires a laser to cut stencils out of 2’x3’ 26-30 Ga steel sheets. Is there anyone available to give me a tour or the lasers and their capabilities so I can decide which one to get certified on and which type of steel composition is best for my application?

TIA
Sheneka

1 Like

Thank you for your interest in Dallas Makerspace!
I welcome you and our volunteer members coordinating a tour, but to help ensure nobody’s wasting time, I will impart one of the few things I do know about our lasers:
none of them cut metal.
That said, you may still find corroborators on your project, and you might find the 'Space suites OTHER needs.
(and yes, the fantasy of a fiber or other metal cutting laser is almost universal, but still unrealized @ DMS).

To add to this: there is a plasma CNC that can be used to cut metal

2 Likes

we have MANY things that cut metal and might suite this purpose; some use CNC. Thank you for the reminder to talk about what we CAN do, instead of only what we cannot. :+1:

3 Likes

There are services like sendcutsend.com and bigbluesaw that can lasercut steel parts for you with accuracy, our CO2 lasers won’t cut steel. The CNC plasma can cut thin gauges (with the “fine” consumables but not as accurate as a laser cutter.

3 Likes

@themitch22 is quite correct, our Dynatorch can cut the daylights out of steel. If you are looking to make a whole lot of cuts real fast (stacked sheets), I’ve cut 1/2 thick steel plate on it like butter.

The straight line precision is very high, (+/- 0.25 mm), but if you require very high precision on a complex pattern, about the best will be +/- 0.5 mm.

Hello Jast,

Thank you for this information. Most helpful.

Sheneka

Thanks Mitch, I’ll look into that.

Hello Russell,
Are you with SendCutSend or are you describing a Dynatorch at the DSM? The accuracy does not have to be that great. What you described will work. I am trying to cut large 2x3 steel (for their magnetic feature) stencils.

Thanks,
Sheneka

DMS has a Dynatorch plasma cutter.

Hi Cary,

Thanks for the clarification. Is there a more appropriate group to ask questions about the plasma cutter than the laser group?

That would be the Metal Shop category.

1 Like

Thanks all for the suggestions, I am heading to the metal shop group for additional help.

1 Like

OK, I’m back from metal land. They were very helpful but it looks like I need to go to plan B. How to cut a large (4’x4’) stencil out of a 10 mil mylar sheet. Is this a job for a laser or a device in another sector?

TIA