Laser Rotary Wiring

Recently, I used the rotary attachment with the Thunder laser. I focused the laser and then framed the image. That was a big mistake. My framing position was not correct and the laser pushed the rotary attachment pulling the phoenix connectors out and completely pulling out the control wires! Don’t be like me.

Frame your image FIRST. Then raise the bed to focus the laser.

If you do happen to pull the control wires out of the phoenix connector they need to be re-connected in this order:

DIR- Red Wire
DIR+ Yellow Wire
PUL- Green Wire
PUL+ Black Wire

1 Like

I have updated the wiki to show this.

For my edification, what are DIR and PUL?

Those are stepper driver signals; direction and pulse

1 Like

Well, I’m not 100% because depending on the dip switch settings PUL (Pulse) and DIR (Direction) can do different things. What I believe is happening in our configuration is that PUL- is the clockwise motion and DIR- is the couter-clockwise motion. The PUL+ and DIR+ wires are connected within the black multi-core cable. I think those PUL+ and DIR+ wires are supplying a reference.

Normally, I think Direction is clockwise or counter-clockwise rotation. Pulse is normally the speed of rotation.

Someone with more stepper motor experience could probably school folks better than me though. I don’t have a ton of knowledge in that area.

1 Like