Laser Rotary update - still broke

The replacement controller board and motor lasted a hour or two. @darrent did some testing again, and it looks good from the laser side thru the cable to the attachment.

I’m in discussions with Thunder’s tech support. Current stage:
Tech: please try x, and verify y.
me: Please refer to my first email, where i stated we tried x and verified y. But I did test it again, and had others verify it.
Tech: please send pic of item
Me: Please look at the order of what you sent us 2 weeks ago. OR look at the pic I sent 8/xx/2017 of the same item.
… more of this.

7 Likes

Are we anywhere close enough to knowing enough to build our own?

2 Likes

I certainly don’t know enough off the top of my head to convert the direction and pulse signals from the Thunder to the proper signaling that this motor requires. But that is, in fact, all that is needed: convert the two 5V referenced signals from the Thunder (one of which says ‘clockwise’ or ‘counterclockwise’ and the other which says ‘on’ or ‘off’) to the language of the rotary motor. The Thunder provides the 5V reference, the direction and pulse signals, a ground reference, and 36V to the rotary controller.

1 Like

Most cnc motor drivers will take these two signals and do all of the low level motor control for you.

1 Like

Is this fixed again?

The calendar shows a class on Monday, Nov 20.

Thunder just agreed to ship today a new motor and controller. Last time it arrived in 2 days via DHL.
@merissa

I am aware of the class and let the students know the current status. @Bill

2 Likes

DHL just called. The parts should arrive Weds.

I have cancelled the class for tonight.

Tracking #1924774412

2 Likes

Does it look like one pulse for each increment of rotation or is that information carried in the duration of the pulse?

I have no idea on how to get the Thunder to generate a single pulse to make such a measurement on the motor.

However, there does, in fact, appear to be a direct relationship between between the length of the pulse and the time the motor is turning. Additionally it is very clear that RD Works is doing all of the processing / math necessary for the rotary tool prior to sending the dir/pulse signals - thus the controller itself does not buy us anything more than that of a typical controller.

So as Walter noted, we could just go buy a generic controller. In fact, we very likely could use the exact same ones found inside the Thunder for the x- and y- axes (although that controller is larger than the one found on the rotary tool).

Also, I spoke with John yesterday, and he believes the motor is a Nema 23.

Perhaps this would do the trick:

1 Like

Parts should arrive today

5 Likes

What’s being done with the old parts? I’d like to look at them to see what the failure was.

3 Likes

A DHL package is on the table in the Common Room.

4 Likes

I’ll put it in Vector @Raymond

Thanks! :blankspace:

We are back in business.

The rotary attachment is no longer broken!

5 Likes