Laser heads available

Does DMS have both the standard and 4" long laser heads for the Thunder Lasers? The etch and cut materials settings are defined for both of these laser heads (tubes). I have only needed to cut up to 1/4" plywood but am now wanting to experiment with thicker pieces (1/2" to 3/4" ply). Was wondering if we have the longer 4" head for deeper cuts. Has this been considered as an item to purchase? Any info is much appreciated!

We have some of the 4" lenses (we call them long throw). I can show you where they are and our process for setting them up, Iā€™d love to see it tried, but I wouldnā€™t hold my breath on cutting 3/4" plywood very well.

We cut 1/2" as a test when we first got big thunder, so if itā€™s in good shape (like it should be now) it can probably do that just fine. Lots of high power cutting will wear the tube out faster though, so talk to us if youā€™re going to be dicing up entire sheets of plywood. Weā€™d prefer you use the multicam honestly.

Edit: We used the 2" lens to cut 1/2" plywood. In general though, the multicam is the way to cut plywood.

Also remember that the laser has a conical beam and the thicker your material - the more pronounced the shape of the cut becomes. On thicker material the edges of your cut will not be perpendicular to the top/bottom surfaces.

1 Like

Thatā€™s probably why OP is asking for the 4" lens. The 2" should have the power density to do what they want, but switching to the longer throw will reduce the beveled edge effect because of the shallower ā€˜coneā€™ angle it makes.

2 Likes

Indeed! I saw someone cutting a thicker foam last week with the standard head and the tapering was very apparent between the top and bottom of the material. As I am considering a deeper cut, I was thinking the longer throw 4" head may be the best way to mitigate that taper on the material.

I would love to learn how to set up the longer head! I will be at DMS tonight starting around 5 pm. I can also be there tomorrow around the same time.

I can be there tomorrow at 7 if that works for you (and anyone else that wants to see it). Someone mentioned that our 4" lenses mightā€™ve all been brokenā€¦ I can still show you and youā€™ll be good to go when we get more in though.

We can talk a bit about your use case too. Honestly 80% of the time weā€™ll send you to the multicam, but it is technically possible so I donā€™t want to just say no.

That sounds great, Michael! I will plan to be there at 7 pm tomorrow. Thanks again for your help!

Although I have never tested it, I believe that focusing the laser beam in the middle of the depth (instead of the top surface) will also mitigate the cone some ā€¦ the ā€œconeā€ will be a smaller cone and inverted cone.

Similarly, since Iā€™m sure you will have to make multiple cuts at that depth, you could possibly cut part way through, refocus the depth, cut again, etc.

1 Like