Laser etch a PCB (printed circuit board)

Hello DMS forum,

Working on a project that uses a motion detector and an integrated circuit chip called a 555 timer to
turn on LEDs to light a staircase.

The project has been designed, breadboarded and built on a prototype board. The next step is a PCB. When i was a MakerSpace newb i think someone said that there is a capacity for etching circuit boards. Does anyone know who might have knowledge of this domain?

Thanks.

Allen Pitts
469 713 4147
PS I know it will have to wait until the MakerSpace opens up after COVID19 but perhaps a dialogue could be begun in this forum or via email.

2 Likes

All of our lasers are CO2 and can’t directly remove the copper from a PCB.

@Team_Electronics has been working on a CNC Router designed for simple PCBs, they can chime in here and talk a bit about the status of the machine and how it might work for your application.

1 Like

They can be used to make a mask for etching a pcb. https://youtu.be/RdNarKerZn0

1 Like

Which is why I said ‘directly remove the copper’…

1 Like

@Team_Science used to have a class on etching PCBs chemically.
@Josh_Melnick taught it at one point.

Here’s an old class entry: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/8170

2 Likes

PCB Mill SIG
at Team_PCB_Mill

1 Like

Hello Josh_Bishop, michaelb, Bernard_Gray, and artg_dms,

Guess I better order some more ferris chloride.

Thanks for your feedback.

Allen Pitts

Some things you might want to consider.
If you’re using through hole components and overall size is not critical, do your build on perf board and call it good. Especially if you’re building only 1 or 2 units.
If size is critical (ie using smd parts) and / or you’re building many units then a pcb is worth the trouble.
On the other hand if you’re looking to gain pcb design / layout experience - have at it!
All depends on what your end goals are.
At one time Science had the chemistry for etching pcb boards. Not sure if they still do.
Good luck with your project!

Hello artg_dms,

Putting eight boards on stairs. Even though size is important looking at
using perf board Radio Shack 276-150 cause messing with the ferris chloride is a hassle.
Also considering an outfit called Osh Park as a manufacturer.

Will see how it turns out.

Thanks for the input.

Allen Pitts

1 Like

I’ve had nothing but good luck with OSH Park. They’re pricier than the Chinese options but the boards are quite high quality and come on or before the date estimated.

2 Likes

IMO, the turn around times and costs of having PCB’s made is getting to the point that I would just send it out as well and don’t plan to use acid for etching ever again. The whole process is probably good experience regardless. :slight_smile:

I suppose if it was something I was SUPER paranoid about for intellectual property concerns, I might be hesitant.

2 Likes

Instead of making a printed circuit board for my small projects, here is how I do it. I use a prototype board and run all my circuit traces using #30 gauge magnet wire.

The enamel insulation on the wire can be easily removed by using a soldering iron and tinning it with solder, the insulation will burn off. I go point to point as I make all of the connections. I have found that this approach also has good high frequency characteristics. It is a quick way to create a circuit board plus very easy to go back and make corrections or changes. These prototype boards are available at Tanners in various sizes.

2 Likes

Wire Wrap

1 Like

look pcb boards are cheap just pay someone to make one, it isn’t worth it to make one yourself.

1 Like

5cTMH

Build it dead bug style if it’s simple enough. There is a beautiful example at Tanner’s with a discrete transistor digital clock.

2 Likes

Dead bug style encapsulated in clear epoxy / resin. Functional artwork.

1 Like

Hello Josh,

Have ordered PCBs from Osh Park. $25.
I’ve spent more than that on lunch.

But want to move on this project and
am tired of waiting two weeks for the
manufacturer to deliver.

So I figured maybe I could make
the boards locally. Now DMS shut
down by COVID19 so that option
scrubbed.

Going with approach suggested by
Rich Meyer and artg_dms: perf board.

Thanks.

Allen Pitts

2 Likes

Here is a company in the metroplex… might be the one @Dale_Wheat has used in the past.
National Circuit Assembly

1 Like