Laser engraving 3D print

Has anyone tried or succeeded at this? I’d like to engrave some small lettering but I’m afraid it may get lost on an FDM printer if it’s part of the model.

How small does your text need to be? I 3D printed raised text then just ran a Sharpie marker over it (obviously quickly - didn’t care about quality). This text is about 9pt text, I believe - so not tiny but also not huge.

This is a micro-lathe fixture, so pardon the fact that it’s a little grungy.

while I have not lasered a 3d printed item, I do laser plastics all the time. There should be no problem doing that. Just don’t overdo the power. However, since a 3d print is built from the bottom up, you should be able to integrate the lettering into your design and either have it recessed (it should just not print on that layer) or you can extrude the letters and have them raised as part of the print. cheers!

Lasering the plastic involves burning it rather than just melting it. Thermoplastics like ABS are pretty stinky when they burn,

Burning ABS does not release chlorine, so would likely be OK from a toxicity issue.

(Update: Laser page says if emits Cyanide gas when burned).

It does throw off black smoke, which could cloud the laser lenses and it is NOT on the list of approved materials.

In fact, it is on the list of NEVER USE materials: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Laser_Cutter_Materials

As a result, it should NOT be done on DMS lasers. If you have your own laser, you could try it, but I’d have good airflow and check the lenses for smoke contamination.

2 Likes

I stand corrected. I only burn delrin, acrylics, and laserable sign plastics. sounds like doing it as recessed or raised letters as part of your design is the way to go.

1 Like

Since ABS is a no-go for the DMS lasers, could you share some more info about your design? There’s probably someone who can help you figure out a solution.

@Comter has done 3d lasered designs.

The Zing supports it, using specially designed grey scale images, where the light values vary the power.

I bet the thunder can, but I do not know how.

I’ll try the SLA printer and see how that goes. I’m recreating a blaster from Blade Runner and the barrel has a serial number etched in it as well as a small couple of logos.