Laser Cutters? I'd love to learn!

Howdy! New to the space and I am VERY interested in learning how to use the Laser cutters. How can I get training on this? :slight_smile: Thank you so much!

@Team_Laser should have someone who can help

https://learn.dallasmakerspace.org
Laser 101 - Thunder Basics is the place to start.

2 Likes

Keep an eye on the Calendar. I know there is a laser class that is an intro level on how to use the machine. I just don’t know when the next one will be. I teach a light burn class to get your start with the software. I am looking at maybe doing that on either May 11th or May 18th.

Awesome I am busy both of those days unfortunately but I want to learn both cutter and software!

I’m not sure I follow.
This web site hosts our LMS - Learning Mangement System. In it are asynchronous learning opportunities (“courses”) which can be engaged any time via the Internet and a browser. One of those is “Laser 101 - Thunder Basics”. It helps us learn the basics of operating the lasers in a safe manner. The goal is 100% on the quiz, and it should help to prepare for any other courses or laser opportunities, in person or otherwise, one might wish to embark.

2 Likes

@CelestialFrog
I will be placing a starter class up for next week. What would your schedule allow? There are really two parts to this, not in any particular order;

1. Learning Lightburn(design & control software we use)
  2. Learning the fundimentals of how to manage the Laser to cut materials.

Both topics mushroom out from this basic knowledge depending on your objectives.

For 5/6-5/10 I am swamped every day after work haha.
For the next week I am free m,w,f after 4:30 :slight_smile: I may just wait until after 5/23 as we are let out for summer on that day and then I have every day, all day availble until August haha. I appreciate yall willing to work this out with me so I can learn :slight_smile: Yall are awesome!

I would love to join! I used the 60W laser at Austin Hackerspace (RIP) and would love to get acquainted with the lasers at DMS!

There is a Laser Box class like the one below posting for this Thursday night at 6:30.