Large Veneer Press Needed

Will,

That would be no problem.
How thick is your 16" x 40" panel?

Hi TLAR!

The entire finished layup is 3/4 inch thick 16 X 40 flat panel. 2 rounds of “bagging” will be required. It consists of a Poplar carcass with each face having a double ply of 1/24 Maple veneer.

Please let me know if you will be at the “Space” today or tomorrow, as I am available.

I am in northern Virginia until the 1st of Jan.

after that if you want to make the trek to my store in Fower Mound (evening preferably after 6pm) we can put your panel in my heated vacuum press at my store (heat or non heat).

Thanks Tom!

Can we get together next weekend? Can you please I.M. or email me with your shop name, phone number, shop name and location?

My contact / work location

Premier Gallery
1681 Justin Rd
Suite 200
Flower Mound TX 75028

Will, I’ll see you at my store around noon Sunday!

Looking forward to it!

Tom…I am on my way. Will be delayed a few minutes…sorry! Just had an accident at home and am lucky to not be in the emergency room.

2 Likes

can you give me an eta?

Hi Tom

Please let me know when you are available.

I was working on building a new case for my musical instrument and was using Poplar for the core. This is the same wood that I was using for the radio cabinet restoration. The wood is no good…it excessively warps, cups and straightens out beyond anything I have ever seen. So I am starting over.

I am going to see who kiln-dried sugar (rock hard) Maple holds up.

I’ll face both sides with 1/4 inch Baltic Birch plywood. Rockler stocks the good Eastern Europe furniture grade stuff.

Anyhow, still in need of a large veneer press. Found the plans for this on-line, which can be disassembled and easily stored. Would DMS be interested in funding this for a project? 24 X 48?

http://woodarchivist.com/veneer-press/

Yes he is: @tomcook

1 Like

Wow…I guess wonders never cease!

I think vacuum presses are how it’s done post 1950. Bag presses are pretty small when folded up.

2 Likes