Knurling on the Tormach lathe

So a group of us spent a LOT of time yesterday trying to get a good knurl pattern. what a pain in the azz. the first obvious issue was getting the height set on the fixed tool. Sounds easy enough as it should be at the centerline. But as one wheel engaged and the other would not, we would raise or lower the tool trying to get both wheels to engage. It tended to favor the top wheel no matter what we did. It took a while but we then figured out that either one wheel is smaller than the other or the bottom one is inset slightly. In the end, the tool is being run slightly off center to compensate for the inset wheel.

We finally got it to create a full diamond and tightened the locking nut on the tool. The real test was to see if it was repeatable. In the end we got it to do it twice and called it a day. This is a fine pattern set of wheels so you can’t go very deep. I think we went 0.01" deep. This will likely slip in the future and have to be recalibrated, so the take away is always test it on a scrap piece before you try it on your workpiece.

Thank you Art, Charles, and Troy for your help and for lending another set of eyes. cheers!

9 Likes

The next step will be to try this pinch style which uses a pivoting head and is much more self centering and forgiving. It has a 1/2" shank so it should fit on one of the quick change tool holders we have.

2 Likes

There is just something sexy about having a good knurl on something. Makes it look like the operator almost knew what (she) was doing! Thanks for working on this.

4 Likes

The favor of the top wheel I think maybe due to rotation & lack of rigidity. But that’s just a theory.

I would agree more if it weren’t an integrated tool. It was more determined by visual inspection (by someone with better eyes than me). I used a light touch - only .002” in at a time so it shouldn’t have flexed much.
I’m thinking the pinch tool will do better. Cheers