Knife sharpening

My wife has a professional set of kitchen knives… it’s time to sharpen them again. Can anyone recommend someone for this service?

Get some diamond stones or water stones. I use a burnishing rod to straighten the edge before hitting the stones.

1 Like

Have to agree with Randy! Even fairly inexpensive stones combined with a good strop will get you in the “scary sharp” range with little practice. I’d suggest diamond stones up to the 1200 grit range or so followed by green compound on a strop. Your tools will thank you and you’ll see a huge difference in prep time.

2 Likes

I use Lansky stones because the system makes getting a consistent angle foolproof.

2 Likes

I sharpen my own knives but im pretty bad at it. Anyone have some technique advice?

There’s the Tormek outside the woodshop. The knife sharpening jig is about $50.

House of Blades on the west side of Fort Worth does a great job. Normally they’ll sharpen while you wait, but during the holidays they are always fully booked. You’ve got drop off your blades and pick them up a couple days later.

I don’t think i can use a Tormek, unless i really misunderstand what im supposed to do with it. I have to sharpen both sides on the inside.

There is a guy who opened a shop in Bedford - Clay’s Sharpening Service that people recommend on nextdoor.com. I haven’t gone there - I use a Lansky jig on my kitchen knives.