Kluge Letterpress Up

I had to clean the armature contacts in the motor, and surface the 2 new brushes at a different relief angle.

All seems well.

6 Likes

Why does ā€œKluge Letterpressā€ make me feel the same as ā€œFluke Metersā€??

2 Likes

I felt that same way Tuesday night, when I attended a watch party for Dick Armyā€™s old seat.

1 Like

What about a ā€œTateā€™s Compass?ā€

You know what folks say about them:

ā€œHe who has a Tateā€™s is lostā€

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is great! Iā€™ve yet to be there when that thing fires up. I want to create a print lockup for the thing so we can print something. Is the paper feeder working?

Language, and history of language, is a neat thingā€¦

an excerpt:

The pronunciation of ā€œkludgeā€ā€”it rhymes with subterfuge and ice luge, not nudge and fudgeā€”hints at its alternate spelling, ā€œkluge,ā€ which is still commonly used among programmers. The discrepancy may also offer hints as to the earliest uses of the word, which, like ā€œbug,ā€ has its own thicket of folklore to untangle.

ā€œItā€™s, um, complicated,ā€ the linguist and lexicographer Ben Zimmer told me in an email. ā€œThe short answer is that the word was originally spelled ā€˜klugeā€™ā€”derived from the surname Kluge, in turn from German klug, ā€˜clever.ā€™ But then later it began to be spelled as ā€˜kludge,ā€™ merging with a U.K. slang term with that spelling (apparently derived from a Scots word for ā€˜toiletā€™). So now we often get the ā€˜kludgeā€™ spelling with the ā€˜klugeā€™ pronunciation.ā€

The article goes on to suggest that Brandtjen & Kluge systems equipment (i.e. printing presses) might actually be part of the origin story for the AE word kludge as we know it todayā€¦

1 Like

depends upon what you want to feedā€¦

Arthur Lara (our Kluge Jedi Master) tells me that there are 3 or 4 different types of rubber sucker heads we need to have, to feed different materials. We have no rubber sucker heads, but checking their website, I see 28 different items under ā€œSuckersā€: https://kluge.biz/product-category/sucker/

1 Like

Dam, thatā€™s a whole lot of suckers.
I think we should start with suckers for paper, preferably #80 cover to begin with. Iā€™m thinking that is a good place to start. What ya say?

1 Like

Orā€¦I was just thinking, can it be manually fed?