Kingsley Hot Foil Embossing Machine Get Together

Greetings. I am donating a Kingsley Hot Foil Embossing Machine to our wonderful Creative arts section. Since I will be at DMS Thursday the 17th for the machine shop meeting, I’m hosting an informal get together for those that want to see it in action and want to learn to use it.

Don’t know what it is? The Kingsley is a old school method of bonding a gold metallic foil (now there are lots of colors) to a non-metallic material. Examples include old Bibles and how the name was embossed in gold on it. Wallets, napkins, ribbons, business cards, invitations, you get the picture. These days, we rely on lasers and printers of some sort to do the same thing, but there is just a certain elegance that comes from doing it in a gold foil.

And for our leatherworkers - you may know that vegetable tanned leather can be stamped but chromium tanned leather cannot because it is softened and bounces back up. Hot stamp embossing is how this is generally done on chrome tanned. whether you add the foil or not the heat activates the salts in the leather and leaves a permanent embossing.

I’ve created an event on the calendar, so just in case it doesn’t make it up in time (or at all), just know I’ll be there. Come Join me this Thursday. Cheers!

7 Likes

Hot foil party!
Would goldschlager shots be appropriate?
If so count me WAAAAAAY out :slight_smile:
Thank you!
@Nick @kyrithia

2 Likes

CA may have invest in Gold Futures to support this thing!

I don’t know. I’d probably take it a different directon

2 Likes

I have boxes of misc Kingsley materials(now called consumables) - not sure if it is in “useable” condition, but I’d be happy to bring them to CA next Thursday…

2 Likes

that would be great. I’m sure we can sort it out to see what works.
See you there.

@uglyknees This is what I think of when I hear Gold and Liquor. Just add lime and tonic.

That’s AMAZING, Nick, thanks so much. Can’t wait to get to use it.

Kewl Kewl! I’ll be at the 'Space on Thursday for the Pre-Hackathon event, and since you have the class scheduled just before it, I have signed up and will see ya then! :smiley:

BTW… I’m sure there are plenty of videos about how to use it; but, this one has an old-tyme feel to it, so seems appropriate… hehe… :wink:

The guy who is playing the guitar for the music uses the machine to imprint guitar picks! :bulb:

http://www.gtpicks.com/KingsleyPickKit.html

looked like a good video.

1 Like

Great video - no CGA cr@p - gotta love the big but not so big hair too!

What time is the meet for the Gold party? (hoping for 7pm-ish)

1 Like

Here’s the link with the details… :smiley:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/1162

1 Like

I’ll be there around 6. the machine shop meeting isn’t until 8 so drop into CA anytime I should be there.
-nick

1 Like

Cool, I’ll be there as soon as I can…but probably closer to 6:30 or traffic traffic willing. Thanks for being chill, Nick!!

630 or 7 for me for traffic and something called work

not a problem. we’ll be set up and burning by then.