Kiln team meeting- ceramics- spring 2024

This thread is for ceramic kiln team members, but is public for our DMS community to see. Our ceramic kiln team volunteers are awesome and make so much happen at our space!

Our next kiln team meeting is:

Tuesday March 12 6:30pm

If you cannot make it in person, you can call in:
206-660-6598

If you cannot call in and are on the team, please vote on the proposed items in this thread by the time of the meeting. Remember to return to this thread for the update on what is voted in to policy once the meeting has happened. Voting is for fully trained kiln team members, since they are the ones who will have to implement any policy changes. Trainees, it is a requirement to come to the meeting/call in/set up a time to catch up on items discussed in the meeting if you wish to stay on the kiln team thread. We need to work as a team to stay on the same page and to make our community shine! :sun_with_face:

We will be taking a group photo in the digital media room after to put on a rotating slide on the TV so new folks can get to know our community easier. (not a requirement, but highly encouraged! We love your face and want others in the community to see and appreciate you too!)

Here are the items we will be voting on:

-how to enforce the dry greenware policy

• List item put them on ware boards with notes and put them back on the in progress shelves

• List item put them on the needs attention shelf

• List item put them on the top shelf of greenware and let them dry out for a week

-what to do with the paragon kiln, because it is having trouble reaching temp even on bisque items now.

• List item continue adding hold time in order to keep using it for bisque

• List item designate it as luster/mica/super low fire clays/glazes only

Kiln furniture shelves

• List item keep the current situation of 2 kiln/cookie shelves for accessibility

• List item move them all on to one shelf for centralization

-Meeting frequency

• List item every month

• List item every other month

• List item once a season

That’s it! Oh and….

DINNER PROVIDED FOR KILN TEAM MEMBERS AND TRAINEES WHO ATTEND IN PERSON!

See y’all there
:slightly_smiling_face:
-Jamie

5 Likes

I will be about 30 mins late, but I will be there! I am parked in the Common Room doing my work-from-home side hustle, so I don’t have far to go when I finish at 7pm! :wink:

1 Like

Great! We are meeting in ceramic main area, @Monikat is already there. I have the food and am running 5 mins behind. See y’all soon!

We are running late because i thought it said 7:30

My votes:
*put them on the top shelf of greenware and let them dry out for a week
*designate it as luster/mica/super low fire clays/glazes only
*move them all on to one shelf for centralization
*every other month

1 Like

Blame Daylight Saving Time?

1 Like

We had our meeting and here’s the votes:

Wet greenware policy: voted to put them on needs attention shelf- we created a shelf to keep it separate from the glaze needs attention.

Paragon: we voted to keep it for low fire things only, like luster or mica (super low fire)

Kiln furniture shelves: voted to keep 2 separate areas, but small shelves on one side, large shelves on the other with all cookies on that side
(We need to vote another in progress shelf for kiln use in the next committee meeting to make that happen, as there is not currently enough room for all the cookies)

Meeting frequency:
Voted on Seasonal (4 official meetings) plus 2 cookie days a year, so bi monthly.

Thanks for everyone who came! Everyone who did not vote and did not come needs to meet up to debrief on these policies and brush up on past ones. Thanks!

5 Likes

Would someone get me added to the kiln team thread please….thank you

1 Like