Kiln Team- Firing info

Hello,

I need some info please. I’ve been waiting on my low fire pieces to be fired.

I stop by today and they were moved to the special fire shelf?

Why were the moved from the bisque shelf and not fired ? every piece is noted low fire.

??? I have no idea. You had them on the bisque shelf? Correct?

Correct, with the bunny plate.

I am sure it was just an honest mistake. Just move them back and we will make sure they get fired next bisque load. Sorry for the delay.

I think it was that the pieces that went into the kiln last night were all mid-fire, and these weren’t included because they were marked “low-fire” and no one wanted to over-fire them. I’m not on kiln team, but I was there when the kilns were being loaded and that was discussed.

1 Like

Low fire is allowed in the bisque firings. Anita put notes on them so that the team knows not to put them in the glaze firings :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Clearly we need to be teaching our kiln team members a little more about what “low-fire” means.

1 Like

Odds are whoever moved them wanted to play it safe and make sure they didnt get fired at the wrong temps.
Now that we have clarification we can fire them without doubt of potentially ruining someones hard work.

1 Like

Since each piece has a note, I am thinking they did not understand low fire and bisque fire are the same thing.

2 Likes

We should probably buy/print an Orton Cone chart, and use it to help educate our kiln team folks. Most community programs don’t teach folks anything about that difference. Typically you’re working in either low-fire or high-fire. “Mid-fire” is the new term for high-fire that doesn’t go up to Cone 10.

1 Like