June Culinary Appreciation Thread

My favorite to do is Gnocchi Bolognese follow up by fettuccine shrimp alfredo.

1 Like

To be honest, I was probably alot happier than I should have been when I noticed he had started his own channel, lmao!!

1 Like

Today is our anniversary. Made dinner and creme brûlée for dessert. Not my first. Gosh this turned out perfect. Silky smooth.

6 Likes

Looks delicious! It’s my favorite dessert and I love making it! My only problem is it’s just me and I can’t eat them all before they’d go bad. That’s probably good because I’d make it all the time otherwise! :rofl:

On a side note to anyone interested…sous vide is the best way to make it and get it silky smooth every time with no risk of over cooking. It’s the only way I make it now.

1 Like

I’ve been watching Good Eats Reloaded, and a few episodes back they covered a re-do of the pot roast episode. I forgot to get any pictures, but it turned out excellent! My mother was a pot-roast-from-a-packet sort of lady, so I feel kind of accomplished making it from scratch.

3 Likes

This pot roast was life changing. My culinary consumption timeline consists of pre and post pot roast now.

5 Likes

Okay I’ll bite: How do you sous vide it?

I cook in a water bath in 325 degree oven until set but still jiggly.

1 Like

Some day I’m going to buy a Dutch oven …

1 Like

I learned from ChefSteps and it works every time. I have used both the size ChefSteps has in their directions (8oz) and the smaller 4oz ones. Just buy a pack of them at Walmart for cheap.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/foolproof-cracklin-creme-brulee

5 Likes

I had been hoping for a le cruset for a long time, but one day I saw a set of these tramontina ones (which they no longer have, but I almost always end up using the smaller one anyway) at Sam’s for a super affordable price and I went ahead and gave them a shot. They’ve been really excellent and I haven’t regretted my purchase! I’ve used it way more than I anticipated, especially for frying. It plus a pot thermometer makes frying with my little deep fryer unthinkable. Way easier to clean, way more versatile. As you can tell, I’m a believer.

2 Likes

Very nice (the sous vide creme brûlée). I’ll try it.

If you’re looking for jars that are a little nicer for the dinner table, check out Weck jars. They have a glass lid and rubber gasket, both of which clip on with removable metal clips. No threads on the jar.

I have little “tulip” jars for mousse and pots de creme. They have others that would be perfect for creme brûlée. The second one below is 6.7 ounces.

They are slightly more expensive than canning jars but not by a lot.

3 Likes

So those wouldn’t work with sous vide because you need the air to be able to escape as it heats up or the glass could break. With the creme brûlée, you want a finger tight twist so that there is still a little room for the air to escape, but it doesn’t let water inside. After you put them in, you’ll see small bubbles escaping the jars. When you pull them out, there will be a vacuum in the jar.

I’m going to look those up though for use in other ways!

So, this has absolutely nothing to do with the current topic of sous-vide, but, I found it kind of humorous…

Earlier tonight I got kicked out of a food group on Facebook because “Your dishes are boring and not up to par with what we expect of our members”.

Now, take into consideration that this was a group that puts a hamburger on to Krispy Kremes, top with Limburger cheese, raw onions and avocados was praise worthy and “looked divine”.

I’m kinda thinking I came out on the better end of this…but I’ve been wrong before.
:rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

Those are canning jars designed for boiling water bath and pressure canning. I use them for black raspberry jam a couple times a year. Air can escape under the gasket. They’d be fine in sous vide.

2 Likes

This is a great video on making pasta by hand with Kevin Funke the detailed explanation he goes into is pretty amaze balls.

2 Likes

Pasta is so fun to make! But beware if you ever make pasta for a dinner party, you will get requests all the time.

4 Likes

You are not wrong.
I made the mistake about a year ago and made fresh Gnocchi with a chicken vodka alfredo sauce.

To this day I still get requests including, I kid you not, the cousin of a friend, of a friend that wanted me to cater fresh pasta for their wedding… does anybody have any idea what that would take, especially for over a hundred guests?!?

1 Like

Late night, mildly intoxicated omelette with sauteed onions, green bell pepper, spicy sausage and topped with shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese.

5 Likes

Wifey made an amazing cauliflower/cheese deep dish pizza.

8 Likes

Found this and I thought it might be appreciated here.

5 Likes