June Culinary Appreciation Thread

I thought that since it seemed like everyone enjoyed the last culinary thread that we’d try to make this a regular monthly thread until people get bored with it.

So post all your pictures of your amazing foods, baked goods, and kitchen gadgets here. Be aware that we will almost certainly ask for recipes, so providing them ahead of times is good form.

8 Likes

This is salmon with a sauce that contains garlic, lemon, pepper and mustard.

And some stir fry veggies, cooked rather done. Kind of just seasoned to taste with spices, butter and soy sauce.

4 Likes

Looks great! We try to have fish (or other seafood) once a week if we can, and salmon is almost always what ends up on the plate. I like to sous vide it simply because then I can’t possibly overcook it.

I’ve never tried the sous vide before. I’ve just gotten pretty good at knowing what it looks and sounds like when its done in the oven. My dad and stepmom were pretty terrible with overcooking salmon when i was a kid :nauseated_face:.

I actually have more trouble with steak, i always end up with medium steak instead of rare steak.

1 Like

Not sure why small cucumbers are expensive at regular grocery stores but Zion Market in Lewisville or H-Mart in Carrollton have good prices.

Made some refrigerator pickles. Dilly Dilly!

3 Likes

I’ve got those tiny 3-ish" cucumbers growing in the garden right now that I have plans to make pickles with. I rarely see smaller cucumbers at my grocery store.

1 Like

Sous Vide steak is great, especially with a reverse sear, as long as everyone likes their steaks cooked to the same level. Its harder to do multiple done-nesses in sous vide.

1 Like

You should make Sous Vide Egg Bites.

Equipment:
Sous Vide gear
4oz mason jars (6-10)

Ingredients:
300g Eggs (~6 eggs - most large eggs are 50g/each)
300g Whipping Cream and/or Cottage Cheese*
3g Salt

*Depending on how rich you want them, I do 50:50.

Optional:
Cheeses like Cheddar or a favorite Smoked gouda
2-3 sliced Bacon cooked and chopped into bits

Procedure:
Set water bath temp at 185F
Blitz first three ingredients in blender
Put a pinch of cheese and bacon in jars
Pour egg mixture into jars and tighten finger tight
Process 25 minutes

Since they are now pasteurized they will last a couple weeks in the fridge. Great freshly made, right out of the fridge or slightly warmed in the microwave for 30 seconds.

2 Likes

I have! I add ham and cheese cubes into mine. Sometimes summer squash too, which is unexpected (for me) but delicious.

1 Like

What equipment is required for sous vide and what is the prep like?

1 Like

Usually an immersion circulator (Joule and Annova are two popular brands) to keep water at a specific temperature and a pot large enough to hold the food (insulated if you’re using higher temperatures). Some people also have a vacuum sealer, which is good for longer cooks so water doesn’t get into the food, but Ziploc bags work too.

I did some pork chops recently, I put the pork chop in a bag with some seasonings and dropped that into the water for an hour or so. Once done I quickly seared it in a pan and it was done. Worked rather well. I’ve mostly used mine for meat so far, it’s much harder to overcook something and nice to have prepackaged stuff to toss in for dinner. Times are usually flexible, I cook chicken for anywhere from. 0.75-2 hours and it’s pretty much the same regardless of when I pull it out.

2 Likes

I have a Joule which was bought on sale for $150 (normally $200) but I think there are many more inexpensive options out the now. And you can use any pot large enough to cook what you want. I have used cooler for a large 16+lb brisket. I ended up getting a food container, lid and insulated sleeve for about $30. Between those two things you have a good setup.

Meats are so amazing done sous vide. Beef ribs are mazing but cook for 24-36 hours! Weirdest thing but delicious was that you can cook a mid-rare pot roast. :wink:

1 Like

I have an Anova and love it. I bought a friend an InstantPot (brand) circulator and she loves it.

Any of the big brands are probably fine. Just don’t buy generic Chinese junk.

2 Likes

I was going to recommend the instant pot one as a good starter since it works perfectly fine and is a bit cheaper than most. I have Joule, which was purchased for me as a gift, but I think if I were to choose one now that I know more about them I’d probably go with Anova.

Edit: To be clear, the only thing I don’t like about my Joule is that its entirely run by an app and has no buttons on the circulator to set it manually. Otherwise it works perfectly.

1 Like

Coleman has these stackable coolers which work pretty great. The Sous Vide subreddit swears by them and I have to admit they do insulate a lot better than the plastic tub thing that I had before that was made for sous vide.

1 Like

To all my fellow home chefs…
Check this out!

2 Likes

There is actually a good way to do this that I have used for a whole turkey (quartered) for thanksgiving.

It does take more time though. Just cook your highest temp items first (dark meat) then set the sous vide to the lower temp and add the lower temp meat (light meat). The dark meat doesn’t continue to cook.

Edit: Chefsteps method here:https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-better-way-to-turkey-cook-that-bird-sous-vide-for-the-best-feast-ever

3 Likes

Oh! That’s good to know! I don’t think I’d do that for just steaks, but I did a turkey porchetta last year and it would be great to be able to also do the dark meat in the sous vide.

1 Like

Thank goodness I got in early. Only a few videos to catch up on to be up to date on this channel!
It’s kind of funny that he talks about “at school”. I guess you need that right personality to be in videos and connectable; probably the same kind of personality that is a hit in a classroom.
Too funny “…no special equipment…well, minimal special equipment…” “This is a spydah. 3, 4 dollahs in Chinatown Manhatten…” ROFL
Yes, I know I can order one off teh’zon, but that still made me chuckle.
I hope his channel kills it!

2 Likes

Homemade pasta is the best. One of my favorites is taking sautéed portobello or crimini (baby portobello) mushrooms, food processing them into a purée and adding to the dough. So good. Other possibilities are endless - sun-dried tomato, spinach, etc.

2 Likes