Jordan's Project: Resin Paintings

MODERATOR’S NOTE: This was originally shared in the Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - April 2017 thread; but, is a great example of taking ideas learned at or from Dallas Makerspace and making it become a reality in your own way!

Since members have asked for some specifics, I wanted to pull the discussion out so it can have a life of it’s own. I’m putting the new thread in the #creative-arts category; but, it would also fit very well in the #interest-groups:projects category. @creaturecarousel - if you would like it moved to the #interest-groups:projects category, just let @Team_Moderators know! :smiley:

6 Likes

Those are beautiful! Thanks for the description of how you’ve done it. What kind of resin are you using?

1 Like

The work is wonderful. I had a lot of fun reading the narrative. Glad that fire extinguisher was handy.

2 Likes

I think you might have found your “signature step”. :wink:
Excellent share!

3 Likes

Thank you! It’s this stuff:

And I’ve been pretty happy with it so far!

3 Likes

Haha no kidding. And with how hard that stuff is to clean up(or at least ALL of it), I’m sure a little of it is going to end up in future paintings until I move.

2 Likes

That pink dust is probably potassium bicarbonate. Some long while back I corner crewed for SCCA road races. We called our fire bottles Purple K. K is the element symbol of potassium, hence Purple K. Probably more than you ever wanted to know.

Thanks for sharing an interesting process.
Do you think it could be used to coat a project enclosure - metal/ plastic/ 3d printed?

What do you mean by ‘enclosure’?

As long as the surface being treated can be laid flat and relatively level, it’s very possible. Plastic could have adhersion problems with the resin, but if it were primed it would be fine. Not sure about 3D printing though. If it has too much dimension the resin will slide off before curing. Metal could be incredibly cool, and is definitely something I thought about trying. Metallic materials in general (inks, powders, surfaces) are extremely cool when paired with resin

Update: finally getting the hang of the ‘lacing’ effect. Now to find something that creates it without a $22 bottle of mystery liquid…

5 Likes

Next thing I’m trying is adding 3D elements. Gonna try planets and Asteriods first! I laser cut these test Asteroids from scrap MDF, but I think for the final I want to do white acrylic.

9 Likes

Far out twist! I really like the background colors! :smiley:

Don’t forget to add 'em to the Show & Tell thread! :smiley:

1 Like

Sure thing! I’ve got some stuff drying right now so I’ll have even more to add in a bit!

1 Like

I love these types of scenes! I’ve spent hours on Youtube watching people create these scenes with airbrush or spray paint.

2 Likes

Would you teach a class on creating these please? They are beautiful and I believe would draw significant interest if taught in a class.

5 Likes

Sure, I would love to! I’ll need to talk to a few people about how to make it happen though. It’s a decent size mess normally though there are probably good ways to contain it better than I am now haha

I shamelessly posted your pic to the DFW Pinball & Arcade Club group on Facebook… and linked back to this post. :slight_smile:

I think you’ll find a lot of fans there!

Have you done any tests or have any pics of this type of art under blacklights? I bet this stuff would pop! (And the arcade folks often have these lights in their game rooms as a throwback to the arcades of the 80s and 90s.)

Oh wow, thanks!!

I haven’t, but i actually have powder i can mix in that will create that effect. There are about 5 different colors that I have but haven’t played with yet. Good tip! I should do that in the real thing. That picture is a mock up and the space part of that painting isn’t poured just yet. I’ll be sure to include that in the painting!

EDIT: FYI I traced a few asteriods from the game to start, but then duplicated and did some minor variations so they weren’t all identical. I kept the relative scale between ship and the different sizes of asteriods intact though, that was important.

Nice work! I especially like the Asteroids; that will be great when we do the 10x10 again.

Many of your other pieces look like views of the Earth from space or an artist impression of foreign moons. Was that what you were intending?

That’s exactly what I was intending! The way resin flows together pretty naturally makes swirls that you may see on plants from space, so when making them I just try to pick good colors then just let it look like what it wants to look like.

I plan on putting these plants on top of a space resin background! Probably will be able to combine them into one piece this weekend

2 Likes

Rough mock up of what I mean :slight_smile:

5 Likes