Joining aluminum

I need some advice on joining some aluminum parts.

Main part: Approx. 1" diameter, 0.015" thick
Pieces to attach: Approx. 0.050"w x 0.080"L x 0.015" thick (qty 3)

I’m toying with the idea of cold riveting although that would not be my preference because the main part isn’t flat. Neither structural integrity nor galvanic corrosion are issues.

I do not know the specific aluminum alloy. Yes, I know aluminum typically cannot be soldered. I don’t have the skill to TIG it …

Any serious suggestions are appreciated!

Superglue?

1 Like

This is probably one of the only ways. TIG welding that cleanly would require like 30 years experience sort of skill.

I was going to say solder. It can be done. Another is epoxy.

1 Like

Micro-tig. Lol

2 Likes

Look up brazing aluminum.
Or epoxy
Or JBweld

There are other specialized adhesives too.

2 Likes

I have some thin vhb tape, I can give you some of that to try.

Is anyone looking at the dimensions?

A tiny drop of thin CA applied with a pin is the only thing I would try…

1 Like

Leah caught a rash of pooh for calling it “welding”, but joining aluminum is demonstrated in this video

I think it’s roughly silver soldering. Point being, aluminum can be “soldered” or “brazed” with this technique. Parts in your size, however… I agree that epoxy is probably the way to go…

I am wondering how you had planed to cold rivet this.

Is this an alignment lug, sight or reinforcement , does ir stand on end or lie flat??

I will drill a tiny hole in each piece and use a tiny piece of annealed brass rod as the “cold rivet”. However, since the main piece will be nearly hemispherical, I am going to need something comparable as the “anvil” to put inside it.

can you just use a pin with a press fit .015 and forget about the “blade”?

Has to be welded with a tig machine I’m gonna sign up and get a membership because I’m certified on all mig tig and stick welding and maybe I can help out I haven’t welded in 4 or 5 years but I just need some practice time and it will all come back

With something that thin you’ll probably blow straight through it even with a TIG machine

1 Like

People TIG aluminium foil to show off, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s someone out there that can do this. Certainly not me though.

I think it can happen and I know I will not be the one that makes it happen but I would truly love to watch.

Would the Hydroflux torch in small metals provide the precision you’d need? It’s designed for welding/brazing jewelry: a smaller scale than the TIG setup.

you can use pop rivets, you can use solid rivets, you can use cherry max rivets. several different options for joining aluminum.

nm, just saw the dimensions.

2 Likes