Jewlery stainless steel?

Is there a good argument for not making jewelry out of stainless steel for super beginning jewelers who will only be using cold connections? Trying to keep costs for the classes low and I have sources for auto body metals but not copper

“Stainless” includes a very wide range of alloys, any particular one? Some might be fine for jewelry, e.g. lots of watch bands, medical bracelets, etc. are out of stainless. Here’s what I could find in a brief search:

Stainless steel contains at least 10% chromium and, depending on the grade of the stainless steel, it may include smaller percentages of nickel, molybdenum, titanium, niobium and other metals. The percentage of chromium is significant because chromium combines with oxygen to form a thin, invisible layer of chrome-containing oxide. This protective layer is what makes stainless steel “stainless.” Unlike the title, stainless steel is not actually stainless, just extremely resistant to corrosion. There are two different grades of stainless steel that Fire Mountain Gems and Beads offers: Type 304, the most common type, is also known as chromium nickel, and type 316L, which contains 2-3% molybdenum for even more corrosion resistance. All of this may seem overly technical, but don’t worry, what it all means is that by using stainless steel findings, you are providing non corrosive long wear and industrial-grade strength to your designs.

4 Likes

Idk. It’s cast off sections from the dealership Mr. Moose works at that the auto body guys don’t wanna bother with since theyll be charging a full sheet to the next guy. Maybe something auto can use? I’ve been given permission to go rooting through their bins

1 Like

It is not easy to anneal it, and it works differently than
copper or silver,

1 Like

I know it does when casting…no aluminum. Theyll contaminate everything with it and there will be untold amounts of pitting

Biggest problem with SS is it work hardens very fast. If you start a bend keep going till finished.

2 Likes

You really have to work SS hot, just like any other steel. If the temperature of the steel gets too low it becomes much harder to work and depending on the steel, breaking.

Copper can be acquired for fairly cheap at hardware stores and it much easier to use in learning.

I would pose the argument that if you were teaching jewelry making at DMS, most tools in the Jewelry and Small Metals area are more geared toward non-ferrous metals. Using copper is affordable and is great to practice on.

Having made chainmail out of stainless for over 30 years now, pretty much the ONLY good argument I’ve heard against stainless are nickel allergies. To build on what Photomancer has said, most stainless you’ll get your hands on - especially metal shop scrap - will be 400 series stainless - with a higher percentage of iron in it - so you’ll get occasional spots of bona fide rust - 400 series alloy is " magnetic " stainless due to it’s degree of iron content. 300 series stainless with a low iron content is considered " marine grade " or " non-magnetic " stainless because it typically oxidizes very slowly to a white powder under certain chemical environments. Less iron content - and it won’t hold a magnet very well.

“surgical stainless” is a meaningless term and may be any number of different stainless alloys. People often label whatever stainless they may be using as surgical stainless to market some imagined hypo-allergenic properties. It’s BS - avoid folk who try to sell you using that term.

All stainless will be harder on your tools and on your hands.

At the end of the day - Stainless is the only thing I prefer to work in - and I prefer 300 series alloy when I can get it at a good price. 300 series alloy is going to be more expensive, typically.

But - don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. Grab the scrap and play with it - but know you’ll go through tools, blades, and drill-bits doing it because it is hard.

1 Like

Good info thanks. It sounds like once I get enough to make some solder trays it’s not going to be very useful compared to the pain in the butt factor…sorta like harvesting the copper wire from the wiring harnesses. Maybe entertaining to make yard art with for myself once in a while.

We should have a chain mail class. Other than making jump rings and a errant attempt with coke tabs I haven’t done it but there’s some beautiful work out there

1 Like

I’ve taught a chainmail class once before and there is one other person who taught a class - we had VERY different approaches to how we taught. My class was free - I’ll leave it at that.

I was thinking of possibly trying to start a " knitting circle " - chainmail & yarn - and whatever else - helping with advice and socializing…

7 Likes

I get you. Still waiting for my first approval. Seems like the comittees are able to get what we need. Didn’t even realize people were able to make money off classes taught at the space

My comment has already been covered above re: most of the tools being intended for softer metals. I think chainmail would be a good idea, though. I don’t know how difficult pierced metal using stainless but I’m convinced it must be more difficult than copper and would be prone to break a lot of saw blades.

Great idea (and name)

We have a regular fiber thingy on Tuesday nights, frequently social (fiberfrolics that are on calendar when it’s not a class). We’re cool with folks hanging doing other stuff too (I’m needing to do wire jewelry lately because of current workload but can socialize this way). So anyone is welcome there.

That being said, love the “knitting circle” concept for any other day/time too. I’m very aware that Tuesdays don’t work for everyone and it’d be awesome for options for other schedules, plus doing chain is cool too and fits right in with the hang/chat/work. Plus it’s another opportunity for a get-together which is always good

If there’s anything that I can do to help or spread the word, lemme know. We have a fb Fiberholic group I can post to as well.

2 Likes

Sadly - after 30+ years making and teaching chainmail, I can say that more than 9 out of 10 people who try it don’t stick with it long enough to finish their first “good” piece. A prime example of why are those who say they admire my patience to do this craft. I correct them - patience is something one has for a small child… I have little patience - Mild OCD and persistence is what is required to do chainmail. Hours to days of repeated precision to create something you want. Most of our species isn’t up to that level of commitment or focus. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ll see about dropping by Tuesday evenings then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I admire the folks that make chainmaille, It is well
worth every penny that folks charge for it

some is - some isn’t - if you can easily see the ring gap, it’s not good chainmail… :slight_smile: should feel like steel silk and not catch hairs or fabric… that’s good chainmail…

1 Like

I have 3 chain maille headdresses, a coif and a dance belt made
in copper- it is the poorest quality of my collection

My Pinterest Board

I have some of my works here.

2 Likes