Jet Wood Lathe (Astro) In service as of 2023/04/18

ISSUE or REQUEST:
Issue

Affected Tool or Resource:
Jet Lathe (Retro) - Stripped Chuck Mount

Committee, Group or Volunteer who usually handles this type of ISSUE or REQUEST (Please tag using the @ symbol. A list of current groups that can be “mentioned” is maintained at this LINK.):

@Team_Woodshop

Details of ISSUE or REQUEST (Please be as specific as possible):

The chuck mount on Retro is stripped. I pulled off one of the Nova Chuck mounts and it it took a lot of force to come off. It went on hand tight, so I am unsure how it became stripped. Either way, mounts can’t be safely put on without a safety risk or risk of damaging chucks, and it will need to be repaired before using.

I marked the machine down, and left a note on the machine. Please let me know what I can do to fix it, or how I can pay for replacement parts. My cell number is (406) 262-4751 and email address is [email protected]

1 Like

Sounds like the set screw was engaged on the chuck. I believe Nova chucks come with a set screw that will hold the chuck against the chuck mount (I know the oneway chucks have this). The set screw should be engaged used when you are running the lathe in reverse so the chuck won’t unwind off the spindle.

Was the set screw on the nova chuck engaged? If it was it would be really hard to get off - lots and lots of force. If you did manage to get the chuck off, on the way off the set screw would plow through/cut/flatten the threads and ruin the spindle.

I will take a look on Tuesday morning and confirm (unless someone else gets there before me). If the threads are ruined, the spindle will have to be replaced. They are $113 and in stock at ereplacement.com parts. The lathe area inventory indicates we don’t have that part in the parts bin, but I will double check. Let’s confirm the situation before ordering/doing anything.

Replacing a spindle is tricky, it’s a lot easier if you have two jigs. I made a set and I’ll bring them in on Tuesday. Since it is a pain to replace a spindle, I recommend we look closely at the belt and two bearings and, if there is any sign of wear, we replace them (we have these parts in stock).

I’ll post what I find on Tuesday.

1 Like

Thank you for the help! I’m not sure if the set screw was in it or not, I figured I would have noticed it if it was; however, that would explain why it stripped out.

I’m more than happy to come give a hand and also cover the parts. I’ll be available Tuesday night, if I can lend assistance? My cell number is (406) 262-4751.

2 Likes

Update - Yep, looks like the set screw was engaged. See Picture - first two threads are completely stripped (on the left of the picture). The middle two threads are heavily but not completely damaged. The last two aren’t too badly damaged probably because the set screw got worn down and maybe due to thread tolerance (nuts are usually looser when they are only on a screw by 1 or 2 threads).

I took the spindle off Astro (not Retro - the lathes were named after characters on the Jetsons - get it Jet/Jetsons???). As far as I can tell no other parts were damaged. I am going to replace bearings and the belt as a ‘while we are at it’.
Parts have been ordered and they are in stock at the supplier. Should come in a week or so. If anyone wants to see/learn how to install a spindle - let me know! It would be good to have others trained to do this kind of repair.

4 Likes

You are awesome! Please let me know when you are planning on going in, I’d like to lend a hand and would also really like the additional training!

I also just realized what you meant by the naming convention. Apparently, I can’t read… I am just now realizing the label was Astro not Retro. That was clever using Jetson’s names since they are Jet machines!

1 Like

The parts are in. I will be replacing the spindle on Tuesday (4/18) around noon if anyone wants to help/watch. Let me know if you are interested in helping/watching.

@cabroadhead

1 Like

Astro is now up and running.

5 Likes