Jet Bandsaw Blade Snapped

The blade on the Jet bandsaw snapped. Do we have another blade, and is there someone here today who knows how to change it?

I removed the broken blade and put a sign on the machine.

1 Like

Replaced this afternoon

4 Likes

In Calgary makerspace, eveyone certified to use the saws is shown how to change a bandsaw blade and align it. we currently have the standard 14" tiawanese BS

That doesn’t stop folks from forgetting, so we put a qr code on the machine that links to our wiki on how to change a bandsaw blade.

This has helped immensely, but there’s still f/u’s

Eric in Calgary

2 Likes

How do you stop them from putting the blade on incorrectly ? We have links and a QR code on how to change the blade. There is so much more to replacing a bandsaw blade than a 5 minute video shows.

There is an order of operations… each step is critical for the next step…

1. Proper blade tracking on the tires.
  2. Proper blade tension… more than an 1/8” and less than a 1/4” of blade deflection.
    3 guide alignment… it can take skilled people 15 to 20 minutes to get this step right.

However a properly installed blade still doesn’t stop improper use of a machine… it just delays breakage.

We instituted a detailed bandsaw training class. So far just under 100 members have taken the training class. The students skill levels have greatly increased along with their confidence using the bandsaw. Here is the last class showing their skills with the compound cut.

This class has already decreased the number of Out of service Incidences we experience. It’s was several times a week prior to the training class… it’s been reduced to a few times a month now…

Tools abuse is a real problem…proper training is the first step for better treatment of hammers.

Will there be any weekend classes available soon?

Let me look at the calendar… and see what I can do

1 Like

All looking at the schedule… the next weekend classes I can schedule are for Oct 7th and Oct 21st.

I’ll put a bandsaw and a slab mill class up on both those days…

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Calgary Gets a New Badnsaw

@Team_Admin this old thread title will mislead people to think the Jet band saw is off-line. Can you please update the title and lock this thread?

This does not work in this way. What you’re seeking is team_moderators.

1 Like