Jet 3/8 Bandsaw issue

Blade snapped. Here’s why:

After a test cut, I noticed some bad wobbling and tracking issues. Opened up the machine, the tension gauge wasn’t installed right, just dangling, the blade was tracking way too forward, and the guide bearings were all off. Installed the gauge lever back, adjusted everything, turned it on- everything was centered and nice with proper tension.

I was alone, so I left it on while putting the allen key away, that’s when the thrust bearing guard plate fell into the blade and snapped it. There are supposed to be two screws holding it in place, but there was only one and its threads are completely stripped. It’s just hanging there and not secured at all. Those holes need to be retapped.

I’m leaving the guard plate off. It’s more dangerous to have it hanging like that.

TL;DR Little screw causes big problem.

Thanks for a good chuckle to end the day!

Edo, it seems a bit odd to me that you would go through the process of opening up and adjusting the machine while ignoring a loose guard plate. The guard plate removal/loosening you describe is an essential part of tuning the machine. As is the the replacement and tuning of the said guard. Why did you continue to use the machine without correctly adusting the guard? Please advise. Thank you.

Hey Paul-

It was probably complacency on my part, i.e. it was attached with one screw and I figured it’s just been like that. I haven’t had to make adjustments to that bandsaw yet, so I had no baseline to compare it to. The guard seemed to be secure with that one screw and I just made it snug, cause that’s all you need. I didn’t realize it was stripped at that point.

After I replaced the blade and readjusted everything, I made several long tapers and they all tracked very straight. So my adjustments shouldn’t worry you, I know how to adjust it properly. I don’t change anything on machines I’m not familiar with :wink: