Jeep WJ's electrical gremlin

Found a ground under the transmission that was blown in half

Fixed the ground strap. I’m going to drive 250 miles today and see what happens!

3 Likes

To me, if a strap there is passing current, there should be a strap between the engine and body that is failed or missing. Nobody should be counting on the connection between the headers and heads or the connections between the headers and down pipe to reliably pass current, even when new. From my experience, most of the time that an exhaust system is strapped is because an amatueur radio operator has set up the vehicle for mobile HF radio operation.

1 Like

Does anyone have a DRBIII scan tool or know where I can get / borrow / use one? I’m thinking the dealership might be the only option…

One thing I found with my LJ early on was a bad ground harness that had been stretched a little from the body lift and engine lifts the PO had done. Reran the main ground points back to the battery and that fixed a LOT of things.

1 Like

Dealership wants $140 per diagnosis… Anyone up for building a new interior computer with a couple of arduinos lol

2 Likes

I think a single Mega would have enough computing power, but the problem is figuring out the proprietary method Chrysler was using for signalling between the various modules on the PCI bus. Because it sure wasn’t i2c.

I would have thought that the industry has standardized on the CAN Bus by now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

The time my WJ went bonkers, the wiring harness under the hood was squirrel-eaten. The initial symptom was the alarm kept going off. This was around Christmas time when I did not drive it for a few days. The first time I drove it, various systems such as the speedometer, the odometer, the turn signals and the interior lights did not work at all or only intermittently.

1 Like

Chrysler didn’t start working with CAN until 2006. WJs all use Chrysler PCI Bus, which uses some proprietary signalling nobody’s bothered to figure out, to my knowledge.

1 Like

Thanks. That is good to know.

With Daimler-Benz involved, it seemed natural that the Chrysler portion did as well.

Daimler Benz was in the picture during the development of PCI bus. Because of course they were. CCD was clunky as hell, but I think it gave Chrysler engineers an incentive to use as few computer modules as possible, unlike PCI bus vehicles, which have a bunch of individual computers for individual things. Not that those modules do anything any cleverer than the passive components that ran the previous generation. My WJ is loaded to the hilt, and it has exactly 2 features my ZJs didn’t: TPMS and rain-sensing wipers. And about twice as much wiring and 8 more computer modules.

1 Like

Welcome to hell.

:white_circle:

I’m crossing my fingers that something else breaks before I have to deal with computer issues on this thing. I haven’t had any trouble yet. Not like the ZJs. Electrical nightmares, those. Mostly due to cheap solder and cold joints.

Still cheaper than my JK payment was though.

If it is an electrical gremlin, I’m pooched. Buying old pre-computer cars from now on. Cheaper and less frustrations in long run. No $300 keys either.

Recommend early 90s Japanese. Just enough computers to run the engine, everything else runs on passives.

I think I might accidentally buy a 1974 Toyota Hilux this weekend lol

2 Likes

Go bold, get a Datsun!

1 Like

I second this call for a datsun

1 Like

There’s exactly one Datsun truck on the Dallas Craigslist lol

2 Likes

It’s fate, this datsun
I still need more characters
Haiku never fails

1 Like

Or go with one of these. Ive been eyeballing them.
http://www.omix-ada.com/steel-body-kit-42-43-willys-mbs.html