Jeep WJ's electrical gremlin

I had a 1948 Willy’s CJ2A. Wasn’t fast but was a goat off road.

I know someone selling a Unimog U435 !

It is a 12 speed manual tho…has a clutch pedal.

Are they a member of the space by chance?

All of yalls pricing is out of wack, if you can’t get it for $1000 it ain’t worth it

Luke, what you really mean to say is :
A jeep at any price is not worth the trouble

Dave - yes, he is a member, and is working on importing a replacement Mog,

1 Like

These guys have Unimogs. But they start at 24k. He could sell the accessories off of them as well to bring the price down.
http://www.ccsurplus.com/trucks

Those are FLU419’s, at auction they go for anywhere from $4k to $14k usually

They used to used to be used in the US Army

Tim,
For $24k - I’d import one from Europe that was close to the 1300L / U435 that has been at the Space

I’d have to admit, I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to Unimogs. I didn’t realize there are that many variations.

One day (maybe when I win the lotto) I’d like to get a ton of ex-military vehicles. I’d like the hemtt, deuce and a half, 5 ton, Huey, C-130, Chinook, CH-53…ahh how the list could go on.

2 Likes

Tim,

You should add the CH-54(largest turbo-shaft engine the US Army has ever used in a helo) to your list so that you may lift any of your choices to the lone mountain resort in your future!

The Unimog is certainly one of the world’s most versatile utility vehicles ever and currently in production - more in the civilian world than military.

Try youtube for unimogs / 1300 or 1700
Here is America - we have something called the “chicken tax” preventing more overseas manufactured utility vehicles from being sold here.

I cant believe I forgot to mention that one. I could make some coin off that sucker.
1401 Elm, used that variant to lift our machines to the roof. I was told the lift alone was 250,000.

1 Like

Tim,

I’ve seen the civilian version lifting what looked like very large roof top units on top of buildings - not easily accessed via a crane.
Like this:

1 Like

“Watched” (driving by) them lift the roof dome atop the LA Fitness in Denton with a helicopter.
No idea which one, but I think it was something very similar to, if not exactly, this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_H-34.
Was very curious what it cost, and that struck me as a peculiar choice for such a lift…

1 Like

That would be 5 state helicopters. We used them before. The last time was some time ago. 9/2004. We set 40 units & curbs in a matter of about an hour and a half. We did have a thunderstorm break though. He no sooner got the helicopter on the ground, the blades were spinning down when the sky opened up. There was quite a bit of ouch that day from the static electricity when you grab the hook.

2 Likes

Probably too big to transport to location fully assembled as one piece is my guess.

I’m amazed that the pilots can hold it steady enough to align fastener holes, just a touch of wind will move it.

1 Like

Static discharge is a serious issue during helicopter sling load operations - good times there! The video doesn’t show the wind down-force generated by the rotor blades nor the debris being kicked up - often like standing in front a giant sand blaster. and in the Army - rarely in decent temperatures.

1 Like

For the oversimplification of the day, the heli must displace as much air as is held aloft (the machine, and everything connected to it) to be in hover stasis. For the Sikorsky H-34 I listed above, max takeoff weight lifted from the Wiki link I posted above, that’s 14,000 lbs. Standard atmospheric air, according to engineering toolbox clocks in at ~ .07492 lbs/ft^3 @ 70F. So 14,000/.07492~186,865 ft^3 of air displaced just to keep the beast in the air. Now, information I do NOT have, nor have the clever capacity to figure out just this moment is “per unit time”, so this is just a snapshot; treating the machine as if it were a ship on water, or a dirigible, which it clearly is not. But to put that amount of air, coming at you in downward thrusted displacement, into perspective that’s the air which occupies the whole of DMS, from the floor to 11’ up the walls, coming off the 56’ blades of that main rotor right at you. WOOSH!
:eye::eye:
You folks gifted @ physics can probably think of a more eye opening way to put it…

1 Like

They have disclaimers on the sandblasting close buildings. I heard about the non-prep another contractor didn’t do, he had to repaint the side of the building.

2 Likes

Andrew - Whoosh is an understatement - speaking of that kind of “whoosh”

I had to ask my brother a retired CH53E Marine helo pilot why they had a winch and hook on a 53E like the Coasties have on their rescue helos. He said it was a “feature” that was never used and unrealistic due to the 7 main blades(80’ diameter) creating a 90mph down-force. Sling loads are lifted via the cargo hooks under the fuselage.

1 Like

They also had special containers similar to sea vans that were used.

Some have big water tanks for fire fighting. This is a beast of a helo for lifting.

1 Like

Tim,
Here’s a 5ton us army truck for you:
This one features the expanding sides where the cargo box triples in area.
Far better than a “slide out” but does require extra hands…
https://www.renebates.com/a_lot.php?id=201&lot=104&cat=all

3 Likes