Jeep differential gears - Dana 44

do we have a resident axle diff gearing expert?

I’ve got 2 Dana 44s I’d like to build and eventually swap into my jeep. Setting up gears is just outside of my comfort zone for a job I would take on myself. anyone feel like looking over my shoulder or learning how to do it? I’m not saying I have it figured out, but it’s not really THAT complicated…

I would buy any specialty tools we need. Also offering up cervezas at your local taco joint as payment.

1 Like

Count me in on willing to help/learn but haven’t done it before.

1 Like

Do you know what era of Dana 44 you have? Ie newer models have Crush sleeves to set the preload on the pinion gear. The older models use shim’s.

Build date was '84 or '86. Ill rerun BOM

Is there a case spreader and inner axle seal tool (https://www.amazon.com//dp/B0C7TL852X/) up there? I can’t remember where the presses are located and if you need to be approved first to use them.

There likely is not a crush sleeve on them, any idea on what they came out of? There were some rare ones with crush sleeves and then the JK/JL d44s had them.

I need to renew my membership. The first set of gears will frustrate you but it’s actually really easy with the right tools available.

I’d build a case spreader. Have done inner seals without that tool, but I’ll take a look. Came out of a Wagoneer of same vintage.

The wagoneer front and rear didn’t use a crush washer.

The case spreader is really important even though most people claim to have never seen one in a shop, especially for your first install. I know myself, and without a case spreader I would take the first good looking pattern instead of the best pattern I can get.

Personally I would use or make a seal press since you’ll be yanking the carrier to replace them if you bang them in. But on a positive note, after installing two sets of gears, you will have pulled and installed the carrier so much that it will be an easy fix later and not require the case spreader.

1 Like

do we have an inch-pound torque wrench?

yea not looking for a perfect pattern. It’s been offroad only the last year or two. don’t want it to grenade on me, but not gonna be super picky about it.

I have a non-locking Dana 44 (M226 in nissan speak) in my 2022 Frontier