J&L Optical Comparator Information

Well, I scored yesterday. I emailed J&L asking for a quote on the bulb and socket replacement and any other suggested retrofit items they might recommend. I also asked if they had an electrical schematic… Here is their reply. Spoiler alert, they usually charge for the schematic but ours was only a single page so they gave it to us at N/C. Rich, you’ll like this… @ozindfw
AC-3156 C.pdf (697.4 KB)
Est_Q20240293_from_J__L_Metrology_Inc._24916.pdf (628.0 KB)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the information and absolutely, we can help. Attached is an official quote for both the lamp and the socket you requested. Additionally, I have listed some of the more popular retrofits for the PC-14A model, along with the current pricing. Let me know if there are any that you would like me send official quotes for. Also, we typically sell Electrical Schematics, starting at $50.00, but the Schematic for your machine is only a single page, so I have attached it at N/C. Thanks again for contacting us.

1. Light Source Retrofit (Projection/Shadow)
    P/N: STD-2031-TF - Long Life LED Projection, Variable Intensity (Net Price: $1,695)

2. Motorized Vertical, Y-Axis Travel
    P/N: JL1018 ($3,175)

3. Digital Readout & Linear Scales/Encoders (X + Y)
    Starting Around $2,500

4. Surface Illumination (Reflection/Backlight)
    Starting Around $1,295

5. Manual (Hand Crank) or Motorized Horizontal (X-Axis) Travel
    Starting Around $850

Wow that’s awesome. That drawing is 50 years old. Very simple too.

Do we know when our comparitor was built?

I’ve emailed them back asking so I’ll let you know. My guess is early 60’s.

Great eye noticing the 3 revisions…

I’m also thinking now that ours would have been manufactured after this schematic which means no earlier than Sep. of 1960.

Thanks for doing this.

FWIW, I made a folder “Optical Comparator” on the committee drive and uploaded the schematic there for posterity.

1 Like