It’s a redhead!

You can use the Sheetcam at home to check how the paths look. Then bring it up to the space to cut it & use our Sheetcam.

is there a list for the training class? I am guessing the old machine is out of service?

The plasmaCAM has been removed from the 'Space and is with its owner enjoying newfound invigoration therewith.

Training classes are being worked on. There is almost certainly going to be at least one post to TALK whenever the curriculum is ready.

1 Like

kind of in the middle of a project, makes me intensely curious.

Classes are starting to get posted to the calendar, so if you’re interested, keep an eye out. We are probably going to concentrate initial efforts on getting folks previously checked out on the PlasmaCAM first to help us get it all down pat; then we’ll post up more sessions for for newbies.

1 Like

If you make previous PlasmaCAM training a prerequisite, this would allow ONLY already-trained folks to sign up for those classes.

Perhaps you’ve already done so :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s the plan. We’ll see what the real world brings, though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see two plasma CNC classes live on the calendar. One says makeup class for 23rd. Other says makeup class for 30th.

Does this mean ONLY folks who signed up for those earlier classes should sign up for the new ones or are they open to other (like myself) to also sign up?

FWIW, I’ve taken the class for the old plasma CNC.

Don’t want to block someone who has priority for these first classes…

1 Like

i think those are Tommy’s classes, and yes, they’re for folks who were enrolled in classes he had to cancel. I think he has to approve you anyway, but he’ll be able to speak more soundly to that.
We ARE putting others up for “regular joes”, though I think we’re going to make at least SOME of those “previously trained on CNC Plasma Cutter”…I know it’s going to seem really S L O W for the frothing masses, but we ARE starting to populate the calendar…

1 Like

I’ve provisionally signed up for the 21 Oct (non-makeup) class.

Thanks for the info, and thanks to Tommy for getting the classes on the schedule.

1 Like

The calendar entries on Monday and Tuesday, the 22nd and 23rd are very confusing. The calendar shows 1-2PM and 6-7PM as the sessions, but the notes in all 4 sessions say that the class is 4PM to 7PM, on a weekday.

Can anyone clarify what is actually intended here? Are the times in the notes real for the second class? Or are they leftover from a weekend session of the class?

Probably a dumb question but what is that thing?

CNC Plasma Cutter (and table)

In general, we’re trying to list the classroom lecture portion seperately from the practical shop portion just so folks know the shop is going to be in use. The pay and sign up is for the lecture portion, but the class will span both listings, starting at start time of the lecture portion, and ending with the ending of the shop portion. We allot an hour for the classroom and usually 1-2 for the shop time (depends on instructor, and will likely be tailored to the new machine/process as we develop routines).
So, in this screen cap of the 21st, the 4:00 class is the lecture bit, where people should sign up, pay their $5.00 and attend

Then the 5:00 bit, which again largely exists so the shop is showing as reserved for that period, and no one should sign up for, because the class will move from the lecture to the shop, where they will finish out the practical portion.

Students should plan to attend the class for the first hour in the lecture room, and then adjourn to the shop for the next hour or 2 for the practice portion.

Unfortunately, this sometimes gets confusing even when posting classes, and it looks like Tommy may have had some fragmented remnants when posting those. I hope this helps clarify the intent.

Here’s the 22nd and 23rd, too, if it helps…

It did become more clear once the listing for the metal shop portion posted. I think there was at least 24 hours with the classroom portion on the calendar before the metal shop side posted.

I’m not seeing a difference in classes for those previously trained and those who are not. I’m previously trained and signed up for Oct 25th 6-9 PM. If that’s for new folks I can cancel and do something else.

Yes it is an old thread. We just missed the suckers first birthday. How time flies.
And I did have a cigar

9 Likes

Tim,

Congratulations on your baby’s first birthday! Watching the number of those who use the plasma cutter grow this year was incredible. Many have been certified on the Dynatorch and no telling the number of projects created. Thank you for all the time you invested researching and getting a reliable product which has withstood the rigors of Makerspace!

6 Likes