Issue Woodshop 9/23 - table saw jig

9/23 - I need a jig for the the table saw to cut a 45° in piece of cedar to make a shelf… it’s an usual shape and I need to cut it safely. what are the rules around making a jig?

@team_woodshop

I am not 100% sure what the final goal is (shape of piece), but assuming you are wanting to put a 45 bevel on that piece generally parallel to the length, consider using a piece of MDF wider than piece you have, set/lock fence at appropriate width, hot glue your piece to the MDF so you straight line rip (in this case a bevel) will be where you want it (this will easily come loose later) and run whole shebang through with one side MDF refereeing fence.

Important step is to get your piece oriented such that the straight line rip on your piece that you want is parallel to MDF edge going through the blade, and therefore parallel to the fence. You can actually then keep cutting a little more off at a time just by adjust the fence a little close to blade each time.

Makes sense? Search Youtube on “straight line rip sled” for a little better understanding if not.

edit:

So something like this:

But using hot glue instead of going to all the effort to make a sled with clamps. Or use clamps…its your project :–)

1 Like

Are you asking if you’re allowed to make jigs? Or how to make a jig?

If you’re asking about being allowed- the answer is yes. Typical rules of be safe, don’t accidentally try to cut a screw, etc… apply. (If your screw triggers the sawstop that’s the least fun way to spend $100).

If you’re asking about how, that depends on what shape you’re wanting to achieve. @mblatz has some great suggestions above for basic guidance. If you want more than that you’re probably going to have to show us what your target goal is.

1 Like

I know how to make jigs… the reality is jigs are table saw specific. I don’t really want to make one that can only be used at Makerspace… there is a cost… some leveler clamps - a miter guide and so on for a straight line jig. Is there material and hardware for making the jig and/or does someone like a bird member have to make since in my mind it would live at Makerspace for others to use? But the previous post with just got glueing the it 1/4” MDF would work too… I hadn’t thought about that… learn some thing new every day…

2 Likes

That’s a great idea and fast. Got glue and 1/4” MDF prefect solution… thank you

2 Likes

There are some clamps floating around, but no material for that right now. If it’s something we could benefit from having around long term, you can put it before the committee.

Generally, right now, sleds like this don’t last long in the wear and tear of the space. Until we have a dedicated space to put sleds where they won’t be damaged, it’s a part of life at the moment.

If this is a one-off single use sled, I recommend looking for someone else’s MDF or Ply trash from off the CNC And hot gluing to that.

1 Like

I’d recommend the runner be made of a hardwood like maple rather than MDF. The bed can be MDF certainly.

The only part of the jig that’s table saw specific is the size of the runner and its distance from the blade. You can remove it and set up a new on for another saw, so other than a little time and a tiny scrap of hardwood, little is lost by making a jig for a saw not your own.

For a onetime, quick-n-dirty use, you really don’t need a runner at all…right? Just plan the width to the fence for the MDF accordingly and place/clamp/glue the piece on the “sled” in the appropriate position.

I agree that a full fledged, longer-term solution would be more or real sled-like contraption with runner and some clamps and a ruler/guide and a jacuzzi, though.

1 Like

Why not use the festool track saw? How thick is your material? The track saw cuts at 45 degrees if needed and you can line the track up perfectly.

I didn’t think of the track saw…because the wood is oddly shaped and about 2” think it would have been hard to cut… but that is a good idea to keep in mind
I ended up using CA glue, Painters tape, and 1/4” plywood… it was fast simple and worked like a charm…

4 Likes

The CA glue, painters tape and a 1/4” plywood works like a charm…

5 Likes