Is there a Floor Loom at the 'Space?

is that going to be at the space anytime soon?!?! :D:D

My floor loom? Unlikely. Unless someone wants to help carry it lol. It’s a Nilus Leclerc, with a 45" weaving width, so roughly 50ish inches across and then 24" or so deep when folded. Creative Arts has a small table loom, however, if you’re interested in weaving. I have a second, smaller floor loom, that is actually on rollers that I wouldn’t mind bringing up to show or let people sample. It is still somewhat bulky and I don’t have a truck or SUV to tuck it into.

3 Likes

Floor looms are particularly prohibitive because of space. (I suspect @AlexRhodes would have a conniption if CA asked for more floorspace so soon after the annex…) but @kyrithia has some amazing weaving classes coming down the pike that you should attend.

3 Likes

I’m just in favor of more flex space. Areas are a constant ebb and flow around here. Also, it’s a lot easier to give a committee space than it is to take it back. Look at vector and jewelry talk right now. Not to mention the annex languished for a while and isn’t exactly what was discussed at that board meeting. :wink:

3 Likes

It’s all good. It took awhile to work out logistics on loom usage in the first place for us to even consider acquiring this table one, but it’s going great so far. DMS is a creative space, and that sometimes means we literally have to get creative with our space :stuck_out_tongue: I’m glad we have enough awesome things happening that sometimes it feels like we’re bursting at the seams.

Now if a neighbor would just move out…

1 Like

I think that is what a lot of us would love, I think the one om the North side
would be great, It has a handicapped ramp to it

1 Like

Well I know my partner is looking to learn how to use a floor loom, been trying to get her to the fiber art workshops but that’s a separate matter, and personally I’ve been needing several tartans made up.

1 Like

The basic knowledge for our table loom would translate to a floor loom, the main difference being scale and treadles vs levers. Functionality and the rest of the skillset is similar

2 Likes

Always happy to show people new skills! I haven’t tackled a tartan yet but I’ve watched the videos where a group fulls the fabric. So. Freaking. Awesome!

Hmmm… Floor loom. Interesting.

1 Like