Is the forge back yet?

I’m interested in getting a membership, but first I need to know if the forge, anvil, hammers, and other tools for blacksmithing have come back yet. It would be nice if anyone knew if training or going to an even was required in order to make use of these tools.

Bumping in here with a minimum of information – I think they’re waiting for the weather to cool down some before bringing the trailer back. Typically when the weather is right, they haul all the stuff out every other Sunday.

Now that they put it all in the trailer, I’m not sure how you’d get access. With any luck, somebody with some real information will be along before too long.

1 Like

Yes, training is required. I believe attending one (or more) of their Sunday events is what they count as training.

any idea if they will have forges out for the open house

1 Like

So, i recently asked a similar question. we do have training on the forge and my understanding is that you can request training at a open forge then you would need to find a key holdering member to unlock the trailer when ever you wanted to start the forge up.

There is also a project in the works to put an Induction Forge anvils and hand tools in the metal shop for forging but i do not know how far out that is.

(note: I am not a blacksmiths committee member so my info may be incorrect)

You also now have to tow the trailer back to DMS to use it.

1 Like

Any idea what times/ days that open forge is?

you just have to keep an eye on the schedule. last i checked there was not one on the calender. the ones i have been to have been on the weekends and start at 11 or 12

What usually happens for the open forge day? Do you just have to show up, and that counts as training or what?

@Team_Blacksmithing. What’s the best way to facilitate getting the trailer and items therein to the site for you? Looks like we have lots of interest.

3 Likes

Hmm. I don’t know much of what tools you have exactly, but from what I could gather, it seems that you have a forge, various hammers and other typical blacksmithing tools, metal saws, and the like. So while I would like to have an entire indoor section at the Carilton DMS location, I don’t have any idea as to the possibility of that. If it can’t be kept indoors, then it would still be incredible to have access to it in the back of the building whenever possible. In regards to the training required though? I’m currently unsure if training even should be required to have access to the forge. If that is something you wish to keep however, it should be that every other weekend at the least has training sessions.
Is there any other questions you want to ask, I’d be more than happy to give you an answer!

Just to clarify – we have a trailer, with 10 or so anvils and stumps to sit them on. We have various tongs and hammers. We have a coal forge and a gas forge. Currently the trailer is in offsite storage. Earlier this year it was staying at the space, but the parking policy has changed such that it can’t be there full time (I think).

At open forges, there’s a safety lecture, then a demo and the blacksmithing team guides newbies. My understanding is that after 1 session, you can bring your own project. I hadn’t seen anyone forging outside of open forge times. In order to do that, you’d need to – unload a stump and an anvil, unload a forge, and outside of pen forge, likely either supply your own fuel, or make a donation for the fuel used. (but I’m not sure if this is even allowed at present, cause it would mean you’d also need keys to the trailer, and to tow the trailer to the space)

I think it has more to do with the annual “it’s too hot to move so nobody will actually stand over an open forge” that happens in July or so of every year here in Dallas. It will pick back up now that Fall has arrived (well, it did last week; you’d never now today). Because Kris tagged the blacksmith team, one of the more “in the know” folks (instructors, chairs) will weigh in soon, I’m sure, with more specific plans.

2 Likes

The Space is willing to register and insure “the bus.”

It is time for DMS to own a pickup truck. It can be used to tow the blacksmithing trailer. And Logistics can definitely use it.

2 Likes

And do we have folks willing to teach, I know that one of the teachers
had neck surgery, and he may not be able to swing an hammer yet, ut we had others

I believe one of the goals is to get a hitch put on it. Primarily so it can tow the Lemons trailer but it could be used for other trailers as well.

The issues will be who are the authorized drivers and for what.

I’m willing to help set-up equipment and will gladly help any other ways that might be needed. I don’t own a vehicle capable of towing a trailer or I’d volunteer for that as well.

I’ll be back in Dallas the end of October and will be willing to haul the trailer to DMS for Open Forge starting in November.

Sarah and John have my contact info. @Team_Blacksmithing can also reach out to me to confirm dates, but I usually bring my own forge, etc. to Open Forge days, anyway.

Note that I have a conflict on Sunday, Nov 26th and can’t attend that day - schedule accordingly, or make other plans for transport on that date.

3 Likes

Another possibility would be to have the trailer hauled for Open Forge, but to leave 1 or two anvils with tools, and 1 forge just for use outside of events. That I would definitely appreciate. I just don’t know where they would be kept at DMS if they were left there.

1 Like

There is supposed to be a set in the metal shop but I do not know if one was left there. @AlexRhodes was going to contact John and find out details.