Is Kiri:Moto (toolpath generator) appropriate for the Shapeoko 3?

I have 3D models that I would like to convert into gcode, and run that gcode on the Shapeoko 3. As I understand it, the DMS does not have any software available that can do this.

Kiri:Moto is a free browser-based slicer that can create CNC gcode. It’s easy to use, and I was able to set up a machine profile, import an stl, export gcode, etc. However, I’m still unsure if it’s the right tool for the job.

Can anyone comment on whether this software is appropriate to use? Are there any critical features it may be missing, etc?

Let’s tag @jphelps and @keoliver . These are the 2 names I’ve got in my head for Shapeoko questions.

I’ve never used it.

Slicers CAN generate machinable g code but they require a lot of editing . Spindle speeds have to be manually added and all retraction and filament flow commands Have to be edited out for the feeder axis. More trouble than it is worth . There is a commercial product called meshcam that goes from stl/step file meshes to machinable g code and it has a shapeoko post processor . It is like $150 with a 7 day free trial . You could also convert the stl to a step file and cam it in fusion or solidworks . The pro version of carbide create will hand 3D/2.5d tool others from a solid . There was a plant o buy a pro license for the dms but I don’t know where that is in process . I also think that the oth workbench if free can can cam stl files. I have a license for meshcam pro and I could help you cam this file if you want .

Kevin

1 Like

You can also test your g code with an online tester /simulator

After some brief research , there is not a reason can see why the Kiri Moto tool paths would not work on the the shapeoko . Choose the shapeoko post processor if it has one and the generic grbl if it does not . As long as the part is truly 2.5D with no overhangs it should work . I would be glad to help and could take a look at your part to give you my thoughts on whether it will machine .

1 Like

I had used it with the Sienci Mill One. As keoliver say check that there or no overhangs problems. Also, I had used it on the org shapeoko2 app 3yrs back. Website: [www.sienci.com] has good Resources on Choosing Software etc. Under the LongMill MK2 if that helps.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

I think I’m going to use the more user-friendly Cut3D trial from Vectric to get the machine dialed in, then get Kiri Moto set up once I’m more confident on the machine in general. If I can get KM working I’ll try and post the configuration on here so other people can have a free option for the Shapeoko.

1 Like