Iron Oxide Effects?

Hi i was wondering if anyone knew how to make an effect with glazes like in this image! I know it uses iron oxide, but is it fired in a kiln? is it raku? is it applied before or after the glaze on the pot?

Thank you!

1 Like

To me, it looks like iron oxide on a pot, left raw. We actually have some iron oxide in the cabinet near the glaze book.

2 Likes

Definitely fired in a kiln. Raku would be more metallic looking. I’m not sure what the white stripes are – it rather looks like a single swipe of a white glaze – either Snow would work, or maybe a satin matte. It’s thin and streaky, which is what makes me think single coat. Looks like they applied the iron oxide first, and then painted a single coat of glaze over. Iron oxide can bleed through like that, particularly if the glaze coat is thin.

2 Likes

I was thinking maybe the streak is wax resist but could be a white glaze.

If you look at the bottom, their clay isn’t that white.

I would bet this is a Shino Glaze brushed on top of an iron oxide underglaze (code for just water and iron oxide) on a cone 10 white stoneware like Trinity’s white stoneware.

I did a lot of work like this in college. Shinos are beautiful and can do a lot of different effects based on how thick they are applied. Here is a shino swatch showing that white and brown effect.

Also, check out Andy Iventosch Pottery. He has some other examples of shinos with different brush work from glazes and under glazes.

3 Likes

I tried googling this effect a ton, but couldn’t find much helpful info. This helps a LOT guys. Thank you

and that work by andy iventosch is awesome. Does DMS keep any shino glazes? I might try this and get my own

I’m not there to look, but I don’t think we do. We primarily buy Amaco, and we’ve got our shelves full with the Potter’s Choice line and the Celadon line. I think we’ve got a few of the matte line as well. We may still have the bottle of Potter’s Choice Shino – that one is a lie. The Potter’s Choice line are glazes that try to give the effect of a Cone 10 traditional glaze at Cone 6 firing. Speaking as someone who first learned pottery at the Cone 10, their efforts are hit and miss. The Shino is an enormous miss. Now, they have since come out with a Shino line. It gets those shino breaks beautifully, and actually comes in a variety of colors. The PC Shino is just a mustardy yellow that doesn’t break At All. But – I’m pretty sure we haven’t bought any. I’ll try to remember to look when I get in late tonight.

We do not typically buy Shino’s. However if we, as a group, want to purchase we can certainly chat about in our monthly ceramics meeting.

1 Like

Iron Oxide wash, no underglaze, fired at DMS, on trinity stoneware

5 Likes

Mighty handsome looking planter you got there!

1 Like

Good example,
You could have some fun with a grey celadon organically spray blushed on raw claw with iron wash accents and get some fun, almost soda fired looks in a cone 6. I’ve gotten looks similar to the pot on the right this way. image

Shinos and Soda firing were my love in college it was like playing the lottery with your best pieces. But, I made my money in Blue celadon bowls like this. Sets of 4 for $80 to $120. Now of days these kinds of bowls are available at every bed bath.

This is awesome! thank you

1 Like