Introduction to TIG welding class (mild steel)

Hi,

I would love to sign up for this class on Sunday, January 6th. But it requires a welding safety certification, which I do not have. The safety class is not offered on the calendar, as far as I can tell.

However, I’ve done MIG welding and am familiar with gloves, UV/face shield, proper grounding, and other safety issues. Is there a way I can take this class?

I am also trying to become certified to use the powdercoating oven, but haven’t seen any classes for it. As a new member, it is frustrating to not be able to use these tools, when the required certifications are not offered.

Thanks and Happy New Year,
Dave

If you have taken the MIG class then you have taken the safety portion as part of the merged MIG and safety class. You should get with your instructor and have them put in a Issues and Requests for the group membership to the safety class.

Alternatively if you are properly listed in the MIG active directory group, then you can be added to the welding safety without the instructor involvement. It’s a common error that a user is added to the welder process and not put in both AD groups.

you can check if one or both groups are missing by using the kiosk next to where Stan sits, and it prints out a receipt with all the groups you are a registered member for.

-Jim

What I read from his statement was that he has MIG welding experience, and as such knows about safety procedures - but he didn’t indicate that the experience was necessarily from/at DMS.

I also need the safety class before i can sign up. :frowning:. I don’t have any welding experience though.

This is correct. I just signed up for DMS last week. I have prior MIG experience but not from DMS. I’ll look for MIG classes to get that certification, I guess.

Ah, yeah, in that case you’ll have to take the “hot work safety” class which should start being offered with before the TIG class.

Also, you’ll need to take the MIG class before you can weld MIG at DMS as well.

For right now, there’s nothing I can do though? I haven’t seen any scheduled classes into February

Check regularly. They have shortened the timeline required between when a class is added to the calendar and when it actually takes place to six days - so expect “pop-up” classes to appear as the various committee members qualified to teach the classes firm up their work/family schedules.

Edit: and seriously consider becoming one of the members teaching these classes. The more, the merrier. And you could pocket a little money in the process.

1 Like