Introduction to MIG welding class

This should have been covered by the person who taught you how to teach classes :wink: Itā€™s always something I cover anyway.

Basically, the way honorarium, and by a similar but I believe shorter process other classes work, is thereā€™s a committee of secret worker elves on the background when you post a class that have an option to deny and cancel your class. Thereā€™s no-one that can approve your class, but thereā€™s elves that can deny your class. Those elves have a 72 hour window to opt for denial, and if they all choose to not deny your class then it is magically listed on the calendar at 72 hours from creation.

In the interest of fairness of first come, first serve, your hold on the resources exists until your class is denied or the 72 hours is expired, so your class is holding the room for use until it shows up on the calendar.

Iā€™ll also mention that if you have the link for your class, you can send it to folks or yourself before it posts on the calendar, even though it wonā€™t let them register until the 72 hours transpires. Normally when I post a class Iā€™ll post on talk and say class incoming in 72 hours, and go ahead and post the link so everyone knows what class and when it will show up.

2 Likes

If youā€™re logged into the Calendar, you can look under My Account, and itā€™ll have Hosting Events. On that will be every class youā€™ve posted. Classes in limbo will beā€¦ some color. All mine are done at the moment, and I forget whether itā€™s red or yellow. Probably yellow, and then I think red is cancelled classes. Yeah ā€“ red is cancelled classes, so yellow is ā€œin limboā€.

You can click on those ā€œin limboā€ classes, and itā€™ll let you look at them and capture the link.

Since itā€™s 72 hours, Iā€™ve started putting the time in my post for the class. Talk doesnā€™t capture the time, and thatā€™s important when counting the 72 hours. Especially for me, because Iā€™m usually posting the class late-nightā€¦

1 Like

Bizwacky looked it up ā€“ $1/3 min is correct.

2 Likes

Is that for all types of welding?

MIG is the only one that we charge for, and youā€™re paying for the wire. Everything else is ā€œbring your own consumablesā€.

1 Like

Thanks! Do you know if thereā€™s a Paypal link for Metal Shop?

EDIT: For my edification, does Dynatorch has a usage (i.e., consumables) fee like laser does?

@Bizwacky ā€“ is there a Paypal link set up for Metal Shop? Thereā€™s not one posted.

Dynatorch is also bring your own consumables. Edit ā€“ I think that thereā€™s info in the wiki about where to buy and what to buy.

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_button_id=HT4EFWPHXRTV8&Z3JncnB0=

2 Likes

The wiki has the consumables info. But nowhere does it say whether users are required to provide their own consumables.

EDIT: If someone will clarify that, I will edit both parts of the wiki.

1 Like

Members are not required to supply their own consumables for the Dynatorch, but we encourage members who are interested in predictable, reliable outcomes to bring their own, even though Metal Shop makes best effort to keep usable supplies on hand.

1 Like

With respect to how classes/submissions work, hereā€™s a nice wiki page that answers quite a few of these questions:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/So_You_Want_to_Teach_A_Class
such as ā€œWhat Happens After I Click Submit?ā€
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/So_You_Want_to_Teach_A_Class#What_happens_after_I_click_Submit.3F

Thereā€™s also a link on that page to another FAQ page that responds to may other frequently asked questions for Instructors and attendees: Class FAQs - Dallas Makerspace

1 Like

I just noticed that the mig welding class is posted with 4 open spaces

2 Likes

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/17359

1 Like

Does that mean there is a consumables/usage charge for the Dynatorch for people who do not supply their own consumables?

There is not.

2 Likes

Thanks Beth for the heads up but I had a meeting this morning and missed it. (I was up late, too but just didnā€™t check it before bed)

I had setup a reminder to register for the MIG training 4-days after Jimā€™s original post, but it appears the class is now full. Is it possible to get on a wait list or is it possible to have a larger class (or additional class option)?

1 Like

Iā€™m in the same boat. It is unfortunate that we have such a limited number of classes. Iā€™m sure Jim is doing all that is possible though. There is just a high demand for the class.

Iā€™m planning on starting back up teaching again, hopefully that will help the backlog.

2 Likes

We can schedule another mig class, its hard to keep up with who wants a class since we usually figure that out after a class is full. And then picking weekends (better for me) or weekdays for the class. A wait list that automatically removed people who took a class or after 30 days would be nice to have. I was going to teach a tig class next but can do mig. Iā€™ll coordinate with @MTLmanglr
-Randy

2 Likes