Introduction to MIG welding class

Several new members have asked about a intro MIG class. Rather than just me posting an arbitrary day/time please indicate: day or night, weekday vs weekend that would be most convenient. Two members have already voted for Thursday NOV 11 6-9 PM. Note, after a decision has been made and I post the class it will take up to four days for it to appear in the events calendar.
Best,
Jim

5 Likes

I vote for the Thursday Nov 11 date and time, too.

I also would vote for Thursday NOV 11 6-9 PM.

Perfect.
Looks like we have enough for a class.
Please look for the posting in the events calendar.
It may take up to 4 days for it to show.
PLEASE watch the following videos before class :

If you understand how to see and interpret the weld “puddle” and understand heat control then the the class will make a lot more sense. I will provide paper notes but if you want a PDF prior to class, please send me an email to [email protected] . Sadly, DMS has problems with me trying to attach PDFs to my TALK correspondence.
Note: safety gear is mandatory, no exceptions. See the class description when it posts.
Best regards,
Jim

4 Likes

Does DMS provide the welding wire spool? Or do we need our own?

It’s part of the cost of using the machine. You are expected to pay per 5 minutes similarly to laser.

1 Like

I believe we’re at $3/minute for MIG time, but the kiosk is the holder of truth there.

Note, that’s arc time, not time spent in the welding bay or anything.

IIRC it’s 3$ per 5 minutes. I’ve been looking for the “in writing” but haven’t been able to find it yet.

1 Like

You can also bring your own spool of wire to avoid the $3/5minutes. Swapping spools is covered in the class. We have nozzle tips for . 035 wire. If you want to use something smaller you need to bring your own tips. 035 is a good general purpose dia. For thin sheet metal I’ve used . 030 or . 023

2 Likes

Yeah, 'cause that not what I remember at all. But, now I’ve forgotten exactly what I used to tell people. They paid $10 to take the class, and I thought that bought them 30 minutes of usage? I’ll try to remember to check the kiosk.

Reminder – Hot Process Safety tonight at 7 pm.

2 Likes

And - somebody had to cancel, so there’s One More Slot left in Hot Process Safety. Ignore that bit that says it’s Full. Click through, and it says 1 spot left. (as of 5:47pm)

1 Like

It’s $1/3 minutes, although maybe we should think about changing that? Honestly our biggest operating cost at our current usage is the base fee on the gas cradle. For anybody taking the class, don’t worry about it, your usage during class is included in the class fee.

Jim, the pre-work for the class is a great idea, should make it a much better learning experience if you understand the basics of how it works ahead of time.

2 Likes

As I understood it, we’re not actually charging for gas – just wire. We don’t charge for TIG, because folks have to bring their own consumables.

1 Like

I’m in for 11/11

1 Like

Perfect.

See you then.

Best,

Jim

Still looking for it on the calendar, any idea when it will appear?

image001.jpg

image001.jpg

As am I. I check frequently.

The class will be held 6-9 PM 11/11/21 in the metal shop. I did post the class and it has not yet appeared on the calendar. I have been told that it may take up to 4 days for it to appear on the calendar (I don’t know why). When I try to repost the class for that date and time I receive a message that there is already a reservation although there is nothing in the events calendar. I have contacted Admin to see how to remedy this.
Best,
Jim

If somebody can confirm the correct prices, I’ll add a section to the Metal Shop wiki for Usage/Consumables cost and document it there. As always, I’ll add the disclaimer:

These prices are accurate as of xx/xx/2021. In the case of a discrepancy, the price posted in the committee area is the governing price.

EDIT: Similarly, if the committee has a Paypal link and/or QR code, I can add that to the wiki at the same time.