Intro welding classes also qualify as hot process safety?

Hey! I’m teaching a few classes and I noticed that there was another post requiring that people take hot process safety before taking a welding class. However my classes specifically cover those topics as well as other safety areas like PPE and grinder safety.

When submitting the class there’s an area that allows the class to fulfill the requirement for hot process safety. Should I not do that in the future and need to start putting the hot process safety as a prerequisite to the class? Or leave it as is?

@Team_MetalShop_Teach

We’ve set it as a separate course here. We should ask @rlisbona, though.

And, we won’t have all the PPE necessary. Folks need to be prepared before they come to the welding class.

1 Like

We do the hot process class separate so students come with proper clothing to the plasma and welding classes and to increase the time spent welding. When I took the mig class 5-6 years ago we hardly got any actual welding time due to large class size and lots of material to go over before striking an arc, we want the classes to be less of a lecture and more hands on. I find people can watch a video but have a hard time translating that to their hands, so I spend lots of time while they are welding telling them to change the gun or torch angle, speed up, slow down, too close, too far, too hot too cold.

Get with Beth and see if we need to add anything to the hot process safety class. You shouldn’t need to spend more than a few minutes on safety during welding class

3 Likes