Intro to lost wax casting class

I am currently planning to have an intro class to lost wax casting on the evening Saturday Sept. 16th in the jewelry area. I will request the class as soon as I can find my W-9 to file. Look for it on the calendar in a few days.

1 Like

What metals do we have the ability to cast?

For the class I will be using zinc, safely, by which I mean at a temperature low enough not to produce excessive fumes.

The process can be used to cast in gold, silver, bronze, brass, or aluminum, though at DMS we don’t want anyone casting brass due to ventilation. It could also be used to cast copper but copper casting is difficult for other reasons. The metal furnace that we have is capable of melting gold, silver, and bronze. Aluminum casting can be done, but in your own crucible since the jewelry crucibles are used for gold, silver, and bronze only. Blacksmithing has a propane furnace that can melt aluminum outdoors.

1 Like

The IRS has a on line form use it and submit it

You will then need to print out a copy I did that at the space

there might even be some extra coppines on the printer, then physically submit that

Re timing of class and w9

You can go ahead and schedule. The w9 can take a bit to process anyway. Main thing is get it in the pipeline.

The point being that the delay on w9 in system won’t delay you scheduling, it just delays you receiving your check until it is in

1 Like

Yeah, I have one signed and scanned from previous classes, I just need to get on my other computer and find the file to attach to the class request.

1 Like

You don’t HAVE to attach to class request. That’s a convenience. And you’d only upload the once anyway. System won’t stop you from submitting. Main thing (and probably most efficient) is getting paper copy turned in.

I -think- those paper ones go in finance box near interactive (and I think lowest wall sorter/holder has forms, maaaaybe)

Correct, @Photomancer?

1 Like

That is where I placed mine and Sue did hers

IRS form: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

(mostly a summary)
W9s only need be submitted one time (not necessary with every class, if it’s on file, it’s on file).

The info (where to get, where to submit if in hard-copy) is available at the class submission page:

Everything is fillable except the signature, so you can fill and print, but if you use Adobe Reader X or newer and have a scan of your signature, you can add it and do this all electronically.

2 Likes

Correct. In the box, in an envelope marked W-9 with your name. You can also mail them to out PO box that is used just for W-9’s.

2 Likes

I have a couple pounds of spent ammo primers - mixed brass and chromed brass that might alloy into something approximating bronze. Would that be something the furnace could slag into anything pourable for lost wax? It’d require a significant amount of flux to pull out impurities - I’m thinking possibly borax.

1 Like

I won’t be doing any casting of higher temperature metals (read that as above 1000F) in this class. Brass is defined as having zinc but unless you have something telling you what it contains you don’t know what else is in it. Zinc is bad enough as brass melts at around 1700F and it needs to be closer to 1800F to cast. Zinc boils at 1665F and produces toxic fumes. Lead is also sometimes added to brass to make it malleable and there are other things that could be in there. When people tell me they have scrap brass and want to know if they can cast it I recommend they take it to the recycling center and use the money to buy metal that they know what is in it.

In any case, Jewelry/ Small metals would cringe at using unknown metal in the crucible so you’d have to use your own and DMS doesn’t allow brass casting indoors due to zinc fumes.

2 Likes

Will the fume hood going in tomorrow be able to solve the fume problems?

If you already submitted a W9, the class should let you request the honorarium without asking for the W9 again.

W-9 is already in.

I’m not sure they will have the hood functioning in time for class. If it is working then we might make use of it. Casting zinc at a temperature lower than 1000F doesn’t produce excess fumes in any harmful concentrations. The wax burnout might produce some irritating smells, but no harmful fumes.

They’re planning on putting it in at around 6pm tonight.

There is a class scheduled there, starting at 7

I’d like to thank you for your recent “Intro to lost wax casting class”, on Sat. Sept 16th. I enjoyed it. It was educational with good interaction.

Although I’d like to attend the cold mold making class offered this Saturday, 1:00PM may be difficult. My wife usually has plans for me during the middle of the day. I can usually make most any class 7:00PM or later, any day of the week.

You talked about a future sand casting class. I’m very interested in attending that class. I’ve been checking the events calendar often to see if it was scheduled. Would you mind contacting me when it’s available?
jim at merkles dot com

Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks! As Walter pointed out above there is already a class scheduled for Oct. 4, so I’ll set another class sometime around that time. I’ll check with the people at the jewelry/ small metals meeting tonight (Wed.).