Intro to ceramics?

Would love to learn how to throw pottery. Anyone offering any intro classes or 1 on 1? Totally new to ceramics so starting from ground zero

1 Like

So here’s the question – do you want to learn to throw, or do you want to make a few things? Throwing is a physical skill, and takes a fair amount of practice to learn adequately. Hand-building can produce items much more quickly.

When I learned to throw, I was in college. My dorm was right across the street from the pottery studio, and I spent a fair amount of time over there practicing. My first “set” wasn’t, and it probably took me 3-4 weeks of 4-5 days a week practicing to make that “set” of 4 mugs. The 2nd set went much quicker, and looked more like a set. Still, that took me long enough that the mugs went into different glaze kilns (Cone 10 gas firing). At the time, I thought that 2 of the mugs were in a true Cone 10, and the other must have been in a kiln that barely went to Cone 10. Now I think there’s a possibility one kiln was oxidizing, and the other was reducing. That’s not really relevant to DMS, because we fire to Cone 6 (usually), and electric kilns are oxidizing, as reduction is an effect you only get with a flame.

1 Like

I’d love to learn to make some things! Not sure if kitchenware (bowls, mugs, etc) are considered beginner but if I could start there, that’d be great.

Also, I probably need to do a little research to fully understand how ceramics really work (and to understand what you said about cones haha)

To start practicing on my own, is there a recommended route? What clay should I be purchasing as a good starting point and are there any videos you can recommend for me to watch and get a good handle on starting to make things?

1 Like

Look on the Events (Calendar), and see what classes might be open. We’ve got some folks teaching things now. I would recommend the white mid-fire stoneware from Trinity Ceramic Supply on Diplomacy. They’re open 9-5 Monday through Friday, and 9-12 the first Saturday of the month.

Conor, who works there, is willing to drop clay off here at DMS as he lives in downtown Carrollton area. Make sure he’s got your name and phone number. I’m pretty sure he’s part-time, as most of their employees are also working potters.

2 Likes

8 Likes

Sign up for a handbuilding or throwing 100 level class. :slight_smile: it will give you an intro into clay.

1 Like

All of our beginners classes will provide you with clay for the class. You might want to try a few classes and learn about the different clays before you purchase.

Classes will also help you understand what cones are and the tools available to you in our area.

If you have not met with anyone to go through our ceramic 100, I can meet you up there and go through the guidelines for the area.

2 Likes

Mchou93, I’ll be in there sat am. I would be willing to show you the basic’s.

I would love that! I’ve been nonstop watching videos about throwing and all the beginner techniques, but I’d really love to get some actual hands-on experience.

I’m available this Saturday AM @j801496 what time?

1 Like

Watching videos are very cool. But you’ll only learn by hands on. You will get dirty so wear clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. Hair has to be tied back. You’ll understand that after you start. You will be exhausted after an hour or so.

Do you have Clay? If not I have some great stuff to start with.

I plan on being there about 9:30. So stop by when you can.

John

So excited! Thank you so much for offering your time :smile:

I don’t have any clay, and I’d love to use some of your stuff if I can or I can also just grab some on the way over.

I’ll meet you there Saturday morning!

Don’t worry about clay or tools. I have all you will need.

1 Like

It’s good he’s got clay, because this isn’t the First Saturday, so Trinity will be closed. And, while somewhere in the Metroplex there might be a Hobby Lobby that has mid-fire clay (says Cone 5-10 in the fine print), I understand that they don’t have “fresh” clay. So it’s a bit hard, and needs to be soaked for a bit to be at that lovely throwing consistency.

1 Like