Intranet web pages for all

I think it would be great if we could create our own internal web pages for working on software local to the makerspace.

I think we could have something like shared hosting with our own internal domain name.
For example, a users base domain name might be user123.devdms.local
And through the control panel, they could create databases, internal email addresses, and new sub-domains.

So, they could create MyApplication.user123.devdms.local just from their own control panel.
It would only be available internal to the makerspace or from jump

This would allow people to work on and learn web development and build some cool apps to share with everyone.

There are several free web control panels out there and the setup could be automated via your DMS login.

1 Like

Been working on making the community grid accessable from outside the network. So anyone that is an active member in good standing can access communitygrid.dms.local (internal at the space / over the jumpserver) _and) communitygrid.dallasmakerspace.org.

Access is with one’s AD credentials and their committee chair can add their account to the dashboard. Other wise one should fill out the VCC Computer Community Grid Signup Sheet

In the current development cycle we’re working on getting letsencrypt setup for applications to automatically have ssl certificates and IPv6 enabled by default. Then we’ll be opening up the Gitlab, nextcloud, and OpenFAAS instances following that we’ll be deploying home-assistant.io and deploying smart tablets around the space.

By the project’s end I can see DMS being the most advance makerspace around. So advance we’d have to rename ourselves to Eureka.

1 Like

I’m glad for the docker based community grid … but this is different. This is more like shared hosting rather than containers. It will make it easier to create domain names within DMS and the control panel has already been built to do this. I just need a server somewhere setup to do it. It can be a VM even. Just not a docker container.