Interesting info about gun powder from an old Pyro

Talking in one of my pyro and an older timer started sharing some cool info about Smokeless gun powder and the breaking up of DuPont. I figured I wouldn’t be the only one that enjoyed reading this blurb.

This used to be common knowledge, but maybe it isn’t any more -

Just about all IMR (former DuPont) smokeless propellants are single base (NC only);
Just about all Alliant (former Hercules) are double-base (NC/NG).

This dates from the Taft administration anti-trust decree of 1912 that broke the old DuPont into three entities, one retaining the DuPont name, one called Hercules, and one called Atlas. The single-base powders were assigned to DuPont, the double-base to Hercules, and a line of industrial explosives that did not include small-arms propellants to Atlas.

The handful of exceptions are noted in a book called “Propellant Profiles” from Wolfe Publishing, the publishers of the “Rifle” and “Handloader” magazines. I believe there may be two or three IMR pistol powders that are double-based, and maybe an equal number of odd Alliant-Hercules single-based powders, all of which were added to their respective lines decades after the 1912 anti-trust decree. I think most if not all are powders imported from Europe and re-branded by IMR or Alliant.

Bullseye and Unique are the oldest US made smokeless powders, both dating from 1898. They were originally made by Laflin & Rand, so have survived through four changes of corporate ownership. They are also the highest in NG content, both being about 40%. Most double based powders contain between 10 and 30%.

Ballistite is (I think) still made in Italy, and is or was higher in NG content than Bullseye; I have used 12-ga. 2-1/2" shells made by Baschieri & Pellagri that were loaded with it. It used to be notorious for causing “gun headache,” which was really a nitroglycerine headache that arose from absorption of residual NG through the skin as a result of handling the fired hulls. I do not remember this happening to me, so maybe the formula has changed since Alfred Nobel’s time.

5 Likes