Interested in learning TIG

Depends on what you plan on welding. TIG has a lot more flexibility, even though it takes more coordination and skill. @matthshooter called MIG the hot glue gun of welding, and he’s not wrong. In fact, I’m teaching MIG because it’s about as complicated as using a hot glue gun. Well, maybe a bit more complicated, because you are dealing with electricity (quite a wild child). I figure I shouldn’t attempt teaching TIG until I can get it right.

By all means, take TiG welding!

You can do tricks with it that can’t be done otherwise. Just be mindful of where that feed wire is before you step on the pedal.

Hopefully some can grasp the concept of not making contact with the filler rod to the electrode, tell me @Russell_Crow, were you doing a/c or d/c welding when you experienced received this lesson in dexterity?:thinking:

Tig is quiet. I like listening to music when im in my garage tinkering. What makes it a little more work is everything has to be clean and rustfree. Mig is more tolerant of surface rust or oil film on the parts.

3 Likes

You don’t have to make physical contact between the feed wire and the electrode, the arc spark can jump about 1 inch.

You get into the rhythm and distances, then something breaks the arc. You have to consciously tell yourself, “pull back your hand” before you restart.

BTW, I was welding aluminum, does that answer your question, @ioport51?

It does , I can see why it was memorable.

Turns out this crack in my car door is brazed from factory (It’s a classic Mini, they’re weird). Not something that needs fixing yesterday, but suddenly I have a proper TIG project in the future once I’m confident enough to tackle it.

2 Likes

be sure to post pictures/video.:popcorn::video_camera::camera_flash::mater:

@Omnomsan, that’s some really thin steel. I did a roof on a car once, it took a super careful touch, mostly tacking. The sheet metal just wanted to melt away.

I suggest practicing at really low current (15-25 Amps) on some very thin (20-24 ga) steel.

I’ve seen that car down in Automotive, she is a beauty!

I will gladly partake in this and any TIG offerings as they become available…

Just to throw it out there, if there is an honorarium issue holding back any interested instructor, I would be willing to pay for some instruction in addition to whatever the required payment to makerspace is.

I’ll let you know if I have a few hours free over the next couple weeks.

Thanks, my phone number is in your PM inbox

I’m interested in welding classes, too. Are any of the types of welding a prerequisite for any of the other types of welding? That is to say: Do I have to have some other form of welding training to take a TIG class?

Just the safety class.

I love the TIG, i built a full stainless exhaust for my car with it.

5 Likes

Since we can’t seem to get a TIG class, I am willing to pay someone for 2 hours welding assistance. Need to make 2 octagon’s from 1x2" steel tubing.
Paul

You’ve been posting across various old threads now. Please make a new thread asking for assistance for this project rather than hijacking multiple threads. @Team_Moderators

We have very few teachers for welding, but ever since I took chair we have always trained people that show up to committee meetings to fill the void when there are not enough classes (which is a guaranteed training once a month)

1 Like

I would caution other instructors to not take this offer as it will deprive a class of 8 of your time in exchange for your own personal gain. If you need the money, sure, but me personally, I’d rather teach a full class than teach a one on one for a little extra cash.

Malcolm, I only posted because I do not see a class on the calendar and I have a customer waiting on my project. I’m desperate.