Interested in learning TIG

Haven’t seen a TIG class in a while and have been looking to get signed off for some small projects. Are there any planned in the near future?

@malcolmputer @ioport51 @dryad2b anyone planning on throwing up a TIG class?

seriously considering another stick welding class in the near future.

Well right now we need TIG :stuck_out_tongue:

Just thought maybe while the citizens were waiting for a TIG class they may like to check out the honorable craft of shielded metal arc welding. This has been a public service message. :innocent:

1 Like

Adding @matthshooter

I don’t have a date set, but I’m thinking about doing one once the honorarium stuff gets solidified.

I figured that might be the current obstacle. Standing by

I’d be down for learning that too as it’s the one I have the most indirect experience with. But also need TIG if and when it becomes available.

I would like to join a Tig class also.

I would also be interested in a TIG class when it becomes available

I am also interested in a TIG class if one gets posted.

TiG is just like MiG, only you can electrocute yourself more often.

2 Likes

I realize you’re just joshing, but I disagree with this statement wholeheartedly. TIG is no more of less safe, just different. It requires more operator control to achieve the same effort, but it isn’t any more dangerous to use.

That’s shock yourself, Russell. You are very much (well, as far as we can tell) alive, so you haven’t been electrocuted yet.

1 Like

Don’t allow your self to be grounded, if you are not grounded you won’t get shocked.

Here’s the deal: With the MiG, you are pretty well insulated, and wearing nice thick gloves. With a TiG, you are actually holding a potential electrode (the feed wire) in your hand, in delicate thin doeskin gloves. When you get ready to press the pedal, make darn sure that feed rod is a lot farther from the Tungsten electrode than the work piece is from the Tungsten. Pressing the pedal triggers the arc spark, which can go above 25,000 Volts. It won’t really hurt you, but it will go through your thin gloves, and your clothes, shoes, etc…grounding you pretty darned quick.

Work is currently holding me on 12+ hour days to finish an armor package. Once that gets done I’ll post up some tig classes.

1 Like

Well, with Russel’s information, I now think I’d rather take a MIG class. I’m allergic to electrocution! :drooling_face:

This makes me sad. He’s not wrong exactly, just IMO overstating the risk. It’s quite a bit of fun to TIG weld, and if you start with TIG, MIG will be super easy to learn later on.

I say this in all of my classes, but I think TIG welding is really the right welding for makers. It’s capable of welding steel, stainless, aluminum, cooper, essentially anything you can weld you can weld with TIG. You can even braze with TIG if you like.

The downside is it’s slower, and it takes more skill to achieve the same effort.

I promise you if you’re willing to try it the instructor (either myself or @matthshooter) will cover the ways you could get shocked in the class, and it is pretty infrequent that a students gets a little shock (and even then it isn’t harmful, just surprising).

5 Likes

Don’t let fear get in the way of knowledge. I’m still excited to learn!

2 Likes