Interest in Microsoft Excel VBA Class

I’ve used Excel VBA in all of my jobs and have always impressed management with what I am able to accomplish.

Would people be interested in a Microsoft Excel VBA class that walks through common uses of Excel VBA through projects/questions?

The course would not make you a whiz, but rather introduce and breakdown what it takes to solve time consuming problems in excel (filling out and printing forms from a table, copying and formatting data from another workbook, creating charts from data quickly, etc).

The course would ideally be for people with little to no experience in excel, and allow people to ask questions that they would otherwise not ask, or not know how to ask.

I’m also not sure which committee this would fall under, if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

I welcome all comments and feedback on this, thanks!

7 Likes

I did a quick google and I’m not sure how/if it would be useful to me but I would still be interested in the class.

1 Like

FYI ~ I moved this thread from “uncategorized” to the #classrooms:interest-check category for better visibility since “uncategorized” does not show up on the default “latest” view showing the most recent posts.

2 Likes

I have to do a financial report every month on an Excel form. I’d take the class if it was on a day and time that I could attend just so I’d know what I was doing.

1 Like

Used to use VBA but haven’t written anything in 5 years - would love to take class. I found VBA very useful.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like something very practical to review in this kind of class

Thanks for the feedback and interest.

I find that even though a lot of what I do is piecemeal, it still works great, and with some general knowledge and jargon, I can google my way to a solution. Stack exchange and MS forums are a great resource.

1 Like

Thanks for moving this to improve visibility!

1 Like

I’m interested in this super cool class!

I would be interested, specifically in the areas of automating charts with specific formatting or doing intermediary math in the background without having to show the output at every step.

1 Like

I have done this before.

One example:

1. Import data as a .csv (downloaded from a different database, but I have pulled from SQL servers before)
  2. Sanitize and format data as a table
  3. Create and format chart with table
  4. Calculate and plot control limits on chart

All of these actions were performed with one button import, and the only interactions was a file dialog asking the user to choose the file to import.

Another non-code way to get functional charts is to use pivot charts, but honestly I’ve found reports powered by various queries in access to be more reliable and cleaner to use

1 Like

I have done audit sheets that used drop downs then populate based on what , area, department, etc., score it and would then email the supervisor and manager the results and add it to the data base.

Not sure I could do that now, but could catch up quickly. There are some neat things that can also be done with VBA using Access after importing data for Excel.

I would very much like to automate the charts - the ones I post online about membership and finances require me to update the “Select Data” field.

Sounds a good use for some dynamic range code. (range.end (xldown/xlright). Requires you have a contiguous header row and column to control the size of your range. Set this as the data source for your table and it should work.

I’ll be at the makerspace on Thursday before the Machine Shop Committee meeting at 7pm, I could take a look at what you have and help you out if you like?

I’ll see if I have a copy of what I did - I haven’t worked there for about 4 years.

1 Like

I am good with VBA AND would happily attend to learn how someone else solves my issues their way. There are always better ways and best practices. That could be an Excel book title.

2 Likes

I’d be very interested in Excel classes.

1 Like

yes! I took a shot at VBA for some automated FFRPG character sheets that take input from a random character generator, but dropped it due to course load. I will definitely attend this class if it works for my schedule!

That’s an awesome idea!
I entertained the idea of using excel userfomrs to track my character stats while I was playing DnD, but similarly dropped it due to my increasing class load.

Since there is a solid amount of interest, I will work on getting a class set up.
No promises on a date, I am working on another class for DMS.

Thanks for all of the responses thus far!

1 Like